What do you do with the Gideon Bible in the motel room? - best ideas needed

I was thinking about taking a yellow marker to mark up some key disgusting bible passages in the gideon bibles I find, but there are so many.  I might be up all night doing that.  What do you suggest?

Views: 1874

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I get really irritated by the obligatory bible in hotels/motels, this is just another way society is integrated with historically biased religious practices.
In fact a created a spin off to my blog to find out what people do or were they have found the bible….sometimes I leave a secularist book as an alternative. :)

www.takethebiblechallenge.blogspot.com

Love for people to leave comments on what they did. :)

Burn it, ...just a l'l bit, and put it back.

Or ...just before you check out:

I was in a Japanese Sky resort once and there was a Buddhist Bible in the night stand. I found it quite refreshing. I love Buddhist, got it right years before most, sorry it didn't catch on.

Ignore it completely.

I have taken a bible or two and folded several pages so when the next occupant opens it, it goes to those pages. The pages I select are some of the deeds of JC and GOD. I circle them not with a sharpie but with a ball point pen..and I do it firmly, again to create an indent in the pages. Then I add a bit of commentary on the side...normally not in statement form, but in question form. Creating questions might cause someone to think!

Then I take to the covers and add some thoughtful questions there too.

I'll often go to John 3:16 and ask, "Was this a suicide of a triune god, or was this involuntary manslaughter of a careless father?

Not suicide at all ... just a temporary inconvenience to an eternal creature to whom no permanent harm could have come anyway.  The sacrifice was only from a limited human point of view.  To Haysus, it was more like doing without your smart-phone for a couple days.

You can always apply one of the following to the cover:

Another on the title page would probably also be a reasonable idea ... just in case.

oh nice. I need to print those out.

Homosexuality... why are they warning us about that? I don't like to see a perfectly acceptable sexual orientation lumped in with a list like this. Might as well warn us the Bible contains love poetry

Gideon Exposed!

If you’ve stayed in a hotel it’ll be more than likely that you found a Bible in your dresser drawer and a note saying “this Bible was put here by a Gideon”; but who the fuck was Gideon? Here’s a few fun facts about the guy you may not know.

• Gideon slaughtered thousands in battle by plotting with the “Lord” to use treachery
  • Gideon slaughtered thousands more for worshipping “false gods”.
  • Gideon tortured and killed even more people for daring to taunt him
  • Gideon plundered the bodies of his victims so he could fashion a jewelled priestly vestment
  • Gideon fathered an offspring who murdered 69 of his step brothers

Read the Bible for yourself. You will find the story of Gideon in Judges, chapters 6-9. The tale of Gideon is only one of many horror stories in the Bible, a book that glorifies genocide, slavery, homophobia and sexism.

(Source: thetumblratheist)

The Gideons are not really a denomination.  It's an evangelical Christian organization and members can come from several different denominations.   I just posted that info above because it's about the same as the stickers that are sold by ffrf to put inside the Gideon bibles.  I didn't realize it had that swear word in there.  I don't think that kind of language helps anything.

Wikipedia on the Gideons

That's a pretty good link to a lot of information about the Gideon organization that leaves the Bibles in hotel rooms.  And yes, they do leave King James Version Bibles.   As far as I know, that's all they do.  I don't know why you think I may have been offended by your post.  It's very interesting.  I did not know all those stories.  

I think a good thing to leave with the bibles would be this paper -

Compilation of Biblical Nonsense by Barbara G. Walker.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service