What do you do with the Gideon Bible in the motel room? - best ideas needed

I was thinking about taking a yellow marker to mark up some key disgusting bible passages in the gideon bibles I find, but there are so many.  I might be up all night doing that.  What do you suggest?

Views: 1992

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I get really irritated by the obligatory bible in hotels/motels, this is just another way society is integrated with historically biased religious practices.
In fact a created a spin off to my blog to find out what people do or were they have found the bible….sometimes I leave a secularist book as an alternative. :)

www.takethebiblechallenge.blogspot.com

Love for people to leave comments on what they did. :)

Burn it, ...just a l'l bit, and put it back.

Or ...just before you check out:

I was in a Japanese Sky resort once and there was a Buddhist Bible in the night stand. I found it quite refreshing. I love Buddhist, got it right years before most, sorry it didn't catch on.

Ignore it completely.

I have taken a bible or two and folded several pages so when the next occupant opens it, it goes to those pages. The pages I select are some of the deeds of JC and GOD. I circle them not with a sharpie but with a ball point pen..and I do it firmly, again to create an indent in the pages. Then I add a bit of commentary on the side...normally not in statement form, but in question form. Creating questions might cause someone to think!

Then I take to the covers and add some thoughtful questions there too.

I'll often go to John 3:16 and ask, "Was this a suicide of a triune god, or was this involuntary manslaughter of a careless father?

Not suicide at all ... just a temporary inconvenience to an eternal creature to whom no permanent harm could have come anyway.  The sacrifice was only from a limited human point of view.  To Haysus, it was more like doing without your smart-phone for a couple days.

You can always apply one of the following to the cover:

Another on the title page would probably also be a reasonable idea ... just in case.

oh nice. I need to print those out.

Homosexuality... why are they warning us about that? I don't like to see a perfectly acceptable sexual orientation lumped in with a list like this. Might as well warn us the Bible contains love poetry

Gideon Exposed!

If you’ve stayed in a hotel it’ll be more than likely that you found a Bible in your dresser drawer and a note saying “this Bible was put here by a Gideon”; but who the fuck was Gideon? Here’s a few fun facts about the guy you may not know.

• Gideon slaughtered thousands in battle by plotting with the “Lord” to use treachery
  • Gideon slaughtered thousands more for worshipping “false gods”.
  • Gideon tortured and killed even more people for daring to taunt him
  • Gideon plundered the bodies of his victims so he could fashion a jewelled priestly vestment
  • Gideon fathered an offspring who murdered 69 of his step brothers

Read the Bible for yourself. You will find the story of Gideon in Judges, chapters 6-9. The tale of Gideon is only one of many horror stories in the Bible, a book that glorifies genocide, slavery, homophobia and sexism.

(Source: thetumblratheist)

The Gideons are not really a denomination.  It's an evangelical Christian organization and members can come from several different denominations.   I just posted that info above because it's about the same as the stickers that are sold by ffrf to put inside the Gideon bibles.  I didn't realize it had that swear word in there.  I don't think that kind of language helps anything.

Wikipedia on the Gideons

That's a pretty good link to a lot of information about the Gideon organization that leaves the Bibles in hotel rooms.  And yes, they do leave King James Version Bibles.   As far as I know, that's all they do.  I don't know why you think I may have been offended by your post.  It's very interesting.  I did not know all those stories.  

I think a good thing to leave with the bibles would be this paper -

Compilation of Biblical Nonsense by Barbara G. Walker.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

John Jubinsky liked Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Leader of the Church of England doubts the existence of god
6 minutes ago
Neanderthal Man liked Napoleon Bonaparte's discussion Punk Rock Anarchiste Français (écoutez la musique)
6 minutes ago
John Jubinsky replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Leader of the Church of England doubts the existence of god in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
6 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion How to Have Your Fake and Beat it, Too: Atheists Refused Right to Give Invocation in the group Atheism & the Law
29 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner added a discussion to the group Eco-Logical: A Group for Environmentalists
40 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to MattyLJ's discussion Are you clean and organized?
47 minutes ago
Freethinker31 posted a discussion
52 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to James M. Martin's discussion How to Have Your Fake and Beat it, Too: Atheists Refused Right to Give Invocation in the group Atheism & the Law
1 hour ago
James M. Martin replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Leader of the Church of England doubts the existence of god in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion How to Have Your Fake and Beat it, Too: Atheists Refused Right to Give Invocation in the group Atheism & the Law
1 hour ago
booklover commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Chimp-on-chimp murder. Humans are not the only violent species.
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service