As freethinkers, we should be aware that just because a woman can beat you in softball, doesn't make her any less "feminine".

I came across a thread this morning on the topic, and the things the men listed irked me to no end. Examples: tattoos, cursing, smoking, being able to be her own auto mechanic, short hair, being drunk, etc etc etc. Now, I don't know about the other ladies of the A|N, but I personally love having tattos, cursing (within "reason"), and being drunk (though I rarely drink).

But what is femininity?

Men and women, I want your thoughts!

Tags: femininity

Views: 412

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I saw a Pine Sol commercial with a man cleaning. And the woman was lounging on the bed. But she cared more about the clean smell than the super hunk. D;
I have two words for you: Mr. Clean.
No, not quite. Mr. Clean doesn't do the cleaning. He shows up, smiles, and hands off the cleaning supplies to the woman.
...although I do remember teaching at a daycare and all the girls made fun of girls who played with Barbies. "You're a Barbie-liker!" was the big insult! Hmmm...
This is true Thisbe. The only times I've said or thought anything like "be a man!" had nothing to do with a guy being attracted to men or dressing like women. They were when the man was being dishonest, cowardly (for example: "but I didn't tell you the truth 'cause I was scared of your reaction!") or just crying over stupid things (not to be confused with crying when it's actually merited!) I'd be annoyed just as much if a woman did any of this.
YEAH!!! to "Just because some traits are considered "unfeminine" doesn't mean they're not awesome!"
I lean more towards femininity as a social construct, so the things that are considered "feminine" tend to be subjective. Same for masculinity.

I also feel that these stereotypes are used more often than not to ridicule somebody for not fitting perfectly into a individual's worldview.

These labels are not a good thing.
A narrowly designed construct intended to limit people to gender-biased roles. o.O I don't see why it should matter if my actions are feminine or not. By associating actions and behaviors with feminine and unfeminine, we really place approval or disapproval on the person. While it's relatively okay for girls to be unfeminine in relation to what we were expected to be like fifty years ago, it's still discouraged. You still get stuck with derogatory names insinuating lesbian and hear men say things like she needs to get laid. >.X And men who do "feminine" things are also disapproved of. For example, men who stay home to raise the kids.

People have found that the most well-adjusted kids are those who are not highly feminine or unfeminine/masculine, but the ones who are most androgynous.
I'd also go with femininity as a social construct - little girls are given frilly dresses to wear, Barbies and EZ-Bake ovens to play with, and when we get dirty or act out we're told "that's SO unladylike!"

As opposed to little boys who might be told it's bad manners but not "That's SO unmanly!"

I'd also be more interested in what guys here find attractive/unattractive. The mention of driving a doorless Jeep CJ with manual transmission. Check. Been there, done that, left many a guy in an SUV behind me on the trail.

I possess few traits in fact that would be described as feminine. But I wonder how many guys out there are indeed turned on by a woman in ratty jeans and a t-shirt doing her own oil change? By a woman who shuns flowers but would go nuts over a DVD box set of a favorite scifi series? By a woman who would much rather have a bridal registry at Best Buy than at the Pottery Barn?
Never did get into bird watching, but while one is bird watching, I'd find a load of other things I can be looking at/for. Rocks, plants, snakes...

And I love to camp. Don't get nearly as much opportunity to do so as I'd like. But when I take a road trip on the motorcycle, hell with hotels. Give me a patch of Forest or BLM or even just a slightly illegal pull off behind a hill off the highway. Have tent, will sleep.

;-)
D; It's unfeminine to like snakes? Damn. They're such amazing creatures and so pretty.
Heh. I'll tell that to the ones I rescue and move to safer places.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service