Taking into consideration some of the following:

1. Great production and direction
2. Great cinematic execution, good photography, sets, costumes, etc.
3. Good and meaningful plot
4. Meaningful thematic development
5. Great acting
6. The stories ability to draw the viewer in
7. The main characters transformation during the process (which is fundamental, I think)
8. The timeless and universally enduring quality of the film
9. Whatever else you might consider

What then do you think are some of the best movies ever made?

Using the above criteria, my top two choices would be To Kill a Mockingbird with Gregory Peck, and Apocalypse Now Redux with Martin Sheen.

Personally, on these kinds of lists that you see floating around, Citizen Kane is always at the top. Yet I fail to see how that could be. I hated Citizen Kane, and I can't help but feel that its classification as The Best Film Ever Made is one of those self-perpetuating lies or mistakes that just keeps being retold and retold because someone sees that list, thinks there must be something in it, and then repeats what they read.

What do you think?

Tags: Cinema, Film, Movies

Views: 319

Replies to This Discussion

Ozu is a genius in my opinion. Almodóvar perhaps not so, but I felt I had to put a living director in my top list.

Solaris - I don't think you can appreciate it without reading the novel first, or at least without a fair bit of exegesis. Stalker is still his best movie.

Vittorio De Sica - Give The Bicycle Thief a try. Then, if you like it, Miracle in Milan, The Garden of the Finzi-Continis, La Ciociara, Umberto D.

Kieślowski - the Blue, White, Red trilogy (Blue is the best), and The Decalogue series.
I've heard of The Garden of the Finzi-Continis, and Adriana just posted something about, or a reference to, The Bicycle Thief. I've also heard of the Blue trilogy, though never seen it.
Stalker. It is one of my favourite films of all time. Try another Tarkovski, Dallas. In my humble opinion, he is the best director of all time, but Solaris was not my favourite of his.
Okay, I've requested Stalker from ILL.
Ghost World was a decent film. American Beauty was great. Thought Trainspotting was decent, too, but can't put as one of the best, imo. Same for Pulp Fiction. Never heard of Taking of Pelham, and Vanishing Point sounds familiar, but can't place it right now. Never seen The Big Lebowski, and never heard of Les Visiteurs.
Taking of Pelham - men hijack a subway train. I thought it (the 1974 version) was very good.
First I agree about Citizen Kane. I thought it was extremely boring.

I know there are movies that I can't think of right now that should be on the list but here goes (in no particular order):

The Empire Strikes
Raiders of the Lost Ark
V for Vendetta
The Usual Suspects
Inherit the Wind
Arsenic and Old Lace
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
The Game
The Shawshank Redemption
Aliens
Die Hard
Slueth
Witness for the Prosecution (1957)
Murder by Natural Causes (My opinion could be complete off now. I saw it once when I was 10. If I watched it now I don't what I would think of it. But I love movies with plot twists.)
I dislike being baited into things like "Ten Best" lists, but I will play your silly game. The best? Hands down: Sergei M. Eisenstein's Ivan the Terrible, Parts I and II. My reasons can best be summed up by the title of a term paper I did in film aesthetics at UCLA ages ago for the late Hugh Gray, who wrote the songs sung by Peter Ustinof as Nero in Mervyn LeRoy's high camp movie,Quo Vadis? and who translated into English the great Andre Bazin's What is Cinema? I wrote on "Eisenstein's Ivan the Terrible: The Perfect Union of Form and Content."
Mysterious Skin (2004) DIR. Greg Araki
Julien Donkey-Boy (1999) DIR. Harmony Korrine
Ken Park (2002) DIR. Larry Clark
Hard Candy (2005) DIR. David Slade
Kids (1995) DIR. Larry Clark

My top 5 that smack me across the face.
I just watched Mysterious Skin last month. I liked it, but I can't say it was one of my favorites. I've not heard of the others you listed. If you have the time, can you tell us a little about them?
Greg Araki is an acquired taste. That was one of his tamer movies. Doom Generation and Nowhere are two that are, cock-your-head strange, yet awesome at the same time.

Harmony Korrine and Larry Clark, share a lot of the same vision with film making. Raw, controversial, raunchy, border-line illegal. A lot shock value. Which I am, admittedly a sucker for. Ken Park and Kids are prime examples of such real life shock value. Harmony Korrine being a co-director/writer on each of these projects.

Julien Donkey-Boy, is a horse of a different color. Cloe Sevigny (also in Kids), Ewen Bremmer and Werner Herzog, truley make this movie for me. The acting sells the twisted story line.
It makes me squeamish to watch parts of that movie. Not for reasons of gore, which I am not normally phased by, but because people like this exist, in this world. I have met them, known them. Just like another top movie of mine GUMMO.
I can only watch Julien Donkey-Boy once every few years. It rips me apart.

I'm not much for giving away plots. Sorry, if I don't get too detailed. I'm always afraid of saying too much and giving away things that should have been surprises. lol.

Ah, and last but not least Hard Candy.
The way the movie is filmed makes you feel what the actor feels. At least that was my experience. Also Ellen Page (Juno fame), is phenomenal in this role. This is where I first discovered her. Instantly I saw potential. I'm stopping here, before i ramble on about my obsession with Ellen Page. lol

Sorry for the scattered explainations. lol.
Okay, you've sold me on these films. I'm going to request them from the library today. I like shock if it is sincere, but not if it is sophmoric. Happiness seems like sincere shock to me.

Was Ellen Page in Ghost Town? I've not seen Juno, but I have seen previews of it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo liked Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Forty percent of giraffes slaughtered in last 15 years
2 minutes ago
sk8eycat replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Mother Defends Daughter's Right to Die Choice against Vatican in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
5 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Brent Feeney's discussion BRUTALLY HONEST: Want Change? Then Stop Being a Political Retard!
6 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Brent Feeney's discussion BRUTALLY HONEST: Want Change? Then Stop Being a Political Retard!
7 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner added a discussion to the group Wildlife
10 minutes ago
Atheist in FundyLand replied to Brent Feeney's discussion BRUTALLY HONEST: Want Change? Then Stop Being a Political Retard!
12 minutes ago
sk8eycat replied to Deidre's discussion When is it wrong to forgive?
21 minutes ago
Atheist in FundyLand replied to Brent Feeney's discussion BRUTALLY HONEST: Want Change? Then Stop Being a Political Retard!
21 minutes ago
C.L.A.W.S. commented on Agent Chaos's group Ceiling Cat Vs. Basement Cat
27 minutes ago
32 minutes ago
Patricia replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Mother Defends Daughter's Right to Die Choice against Vatican in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
40 minutes ago
Jimmy McCann replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Mother Defends Daughter's Right to Die Choice against Vatican in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
42 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service