Taking into consideration some of the following:

1. Great production and direction
2. Great cinematic execution, good photography, sets, costumes, etc.
3. Good and meaningful plot
4. Meaningful thematic development
5. Great acting
6. The stories ability to draw the viewer in
7. The main characters transformation during the process (which is fundamental, I think)
8. The timeless and universally enduring quality of the film
9. Whatever else you might consider

What then do you think are some of the best movies ever made?

Using the above criteria, my top two choices would be To Kill a Mockingbird with Gregory Peck, and Apocalypse Now Redux with Martin Sheen.

Personally, on these kinds of lists that you see floating around, Citizen Kane is always at the top. Yet I fail to see how that could be. I hated Citizen Kane, and I can't help but feel that its classification as The Best Film Ever Made is one of those self-perpetuating lies or mistakes that just keeps being retold and retold because someone sees that list, thinks there must be something in it, and then repeats what they read.

What do you think?

Tags: Cinema, Film, Movies

Views: 307

Replies to This Discussion

I would love to join a foreign cinema group (or a group for films from anywhere but the US), but I shall compile a list of my personal favourites and post it here later.

Those are welcome here, too.

I saw Tarkovsky's Solaris, but did not like it at all. But I will give The Stalker a chance, and see if I can get it at the library. Thanks.
Perhaps we should start one (Foreign Cinema group) Dallas. I'm afraid this group is a bit US-centric in their tastes for me.

The Stalker was one of the best films I have ever seen. Please let me know what you think.

Russian Arc (Sokurov) comes to mind - 2000 cast members, 3 orchestras, 33 rooms, 300 years, ALL IN ONE TAKE - one must see this film for that reason alone.

The Piano Teacher is another I like.

Perhaps a list of my favourite directors would be easier...
I don't think we need another group, imo. Simply post your foreighn films here. I'm sure the members here would be interested in your contributions. I like a lot of foreign films, and have posted quite a few here - mostly Japanese, but one Russian, one Siberian, one Spanish, two Chinese, and one Philippino film, as well.
okay!
I remember I liked AAMM, but I don't remember the film that well. It's been too many years.
I've seen Bad Education. I liked it pretty much, but I just love Gael García Bernal, of course. I could watch him playing the part of a brick wall and still be entralled.
Amores Perros was great, but I've not seen Y tu Mama Tambien.
Oh, no. I'm sold on it. I'll have to get it now.
I must say I agree that Andrei Tarkovsky is one of the best european directors. I love Stalker and Solyaris (I also like the american remake with George Clooney).
I've watched both of those now, and didn't care for either one at all. I didn't like the Solaris remake, either. Sorry. :)
Midnight Cowboy was a good film, but I can't say Midnight Express was of the same calibre, imo. Forbidden Planet is a fun, old sci-fi. I've seen a number of those types, and they are quite silly, but quite fun. I also don't hold 300 in as high esteem as you do, though.

Bad Boy Buddy does look interesting. I'll see if I can find it. I do like the weird and the odd.

If you liked the general feeling of Midnight Cowboy, you might also like The Last Picture Show and Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean.
There are a lot of good ones tossed out, some I've never seen, so I'll add just a couple of my less common favorites or ones I haven't seen in the list.

Out of Africa - never a big Redford fan but the pacing and cinematography were awesome.
The Kite Runner - The book is supposed to be awesome but I can't envision it being much better than the film. Almost a perfectly executed movie.
Welcome To Sarajevo - lest we forget. Underrated Stephen Dillane and Woody Harrelson.

Ok, enough serious period pieces:

Things to Do in Denver When You're Dead - Andy Garcia and ensemble cast in a raw, organized crime movie (set in...Denver!) that creates its own lexicon. Brutal, really non-traditional, funny, did I say brutal...., coarse. Christopher Walken and Christoper Lloyd in the same movie. Definitely a guy film though and unless you're dating a guy, NOT a date movie.

Way of the Gun - Performances are the draw here and again, a quirky atypical plot. Benicio del Toro, Ryan Phillipe, James Caan, Juliette Lewis, and a few more. Intentional echoes of Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid but the humor is all dark. Even if you don't watch the movie, the first 5-7 min. scene is one of the funniest, oddest things I've ever seen in a flick.

And Lastly...

The Usual Suspects - Did anyone list this because I didn't see it in here? Maybe the best movie I've ever seen...ever. The direction was flawless. The acting was great (Byrne, Spacey, Postelwaithe,Benicio again, Palmientieri, whole bunches of good actors). The plot might be the best thing ever put in a movie script.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Tommy Tucson replied to Madhukar Kulkarni's discussion Knowledge and Atheism in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
16 minutes ago
Michael Penn commented on Donald R Barbera's blog post Laff and Happiness
16 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
34 minutes ago
Sentient Biped commented on Joan Denoo's blog post According to the Bible, God drowns, kills, slaughters, genocides, stones, burns, mauls, rapes, crushes, ....
34 minutes ago
Deidre replied to Deidre's discussion What are u listening to?
39 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to chares martel's discussion What are you grateful for today?
49 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
58 minutes ago
Neanderthal Man replied to Napoleon Bonaparte's discussion Viking Trance in the group Les Athées Napoléonienne
59 minutes ago
Joan Denoo commented on Joan Denoo's blog post According to the Bible, God drowns, kills, slaughters, genocides, stones, burns, mauls, rapes, crushes, ....
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo commented on Loren Miller's photo
1 hour ago
Neanderthal Man posted a video

Viking Trance - Warp Bubble from Napoleon Bonaparte on Vimeo.

Viking Trance - Warp Bubble

Music by Viking Trance with video editing by Napoleon Bonaparte. Smart Dog Video London (UK). Viking Trance Radio www.vikingtrance.com Viking Trance purchase link http://www.reverbnation.com/vikingtrance
1 hour ago
Deidre replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service