What stuff do you believe in even though you dont have evidence and are atheist? I believe in aliens and some sort of afterlife. I also believe theres a 4th density that has different laws of physics. The 4th density im talking about is not about time. I believe theres alot of stuff the universe can do that would seem supernatural. I believe in magic and supernatural like powers that humans arent capable of.

Views: 139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sure I agree - can't quite remember why we needed to use the word faith - but it seemed important at the time.... for example - I'm not going to do the research of an astro physicist - so I can say that I have faith in what they tell me - because I trust their scientific method.

How do you logically deduce that the next restaurant meal you eat won't poison you?

Induction might do the job; a coin toss might. Deduction won't.

Perhaps I used the wrong word. It happens without brain fuel. I would deduce that the absence of ambulances and camera crews outside the establishment probably signify that its going to be okay to eat there.

You did more than use the wrong word; you placed too much faith in deduction, which is just one of the means we use to make decisions.

An absence of ambulances or camera crews outside the establishment would allow you to deduce that no one was poisoned perhaps fifteen minutes earlier. Their absence would tell you nothing of what happened two hours ago, what is happening right now, or what might happen after you enter and order a meal.

You might deduce from the number of people at tables and eating whether it's okay for you to eat there. You might, as I did once, infer from a restroom's uncleanliness that the kitchen is unclean and decide to eat elsewhere.

Your "brain fuel tank" isn't empty; your "experience tank" isn't full enough.

While an atheist is someone who doesn't believe in a deity, I suspect most people here are truly skeptics. The word atheist is a bit too small for me and I do prefer the word skeptic instead since it means that I do my best to believe in absolutely nothing. I suspect things, I think things, I know things, I don't know things, but the word "believe" has come to have two different meanings and so for clarification's sake I try not to use it anymore.

What criteria does magic and other supernatural "things" possess so that they pass your criteria and God does not? There is the natural universe that exists and the supernatural universe which is imaginary, it really is that simple. Ghosts are supernatural therefore they are not real. Rocks are natural so therefore they are real. Anything assigned the term supernatural means that the supporters aren't even trying to find evidence for it. Now there are many very real effects, feelings, and sensations that people attribute to ghosts, magic, etc, but these effects need addressed rather than fuzzy bullshit concepts.

LoL....if I believed all of that I'd ah stayed a part of the christian sect and been a great member! 
To my knowledge, I believe in nothing except what has pretty good evidence.
The word "believe" smacks of a lack of confidence doesn't it...  leave it out and sound believable!
It's about an attitude to life I think.  I'm not sure how long humans will last on the earth - we might have another 2 million years or only a few hundred - it very much depends on how much we can destroy it and if natural events are kind and compatible with us.  Such as asteroids and climate change and sun activity etc.  And in that time I'm not sure if we will unlock all of the answers to the universe.  Lawrence Krause was saying in a you tube the other day that in a short amount of time the evidence of the big bang won't be there as background radiation and so future life won't find it and therefore won't know about it.  So their world of science will look different to ours.  But I think it is safe to say that the scientific methods is a good approach to take.  A pinch of scepticism mixed in with curiosity, openness and a willingness to learn new things and think in different ways - but all the while having the scepticism keep us on track.

The two things that stand out in my mind, about the myriad of life forms on earth:  That from a microbial level on, life succeeds by 'tooth and nail.'  And, that we are the only life form that has succeeded to our own level of (arguably) 'higher intelligence,' and technology.

So I can't help but think that the reason we appear to be so all alone in the universe, may have more to do with the odds of intelligent life forms evolving and succeeding to our own level of technology, within the time allotted by the life spans of the individual solar systems. And, barring any untimely extinction events - both natural and, as you've already alluded to, the self-induced variety.

just great...a supernaturalist on an atheist website.

Actually I think the attitude that we should be nice to each other just because we happen to share a non-belief in God is one of the things holding the reason-based movement back.

To make an analogy, if we were on an anti-sexism forum and someone said "Geez, it's sure nice to be among fellow anti-sexists who think men and women can be treated equally and should unite... that way we'll have an easier time deporting all these damn black people!"

If this were to happen, you would be under no burden whatsoever to respect this person just because he shares your anti-sexist position and saying "Hey, there's nothing about anti-sexism specifically that means you can't be a racist, so let's not attack these racists among us."

That would be absurd. But it's similar to what you're asking now. The reason I am an atheist (and the reason many others like me are) is because we've embraced a skeptical and reality-based worldview, that excludes the supernatural (for which there is no evidence) and holds that to believe in things without good reason is dangerous and should be avoided.

So when we see someone on an atheist site who has not embraced a skeptical worldview, of course we're still going to "attack them" (though obviously not violently): from our perspective, they are almost exactly the same as people who are not atheists.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service