What Christopher Hitchens meant to me cannot really be described in words. He was such an amazing human being and I cannot believe he is really gone. Over the past few months he had even exchanged emails me with me on a couple of occasions. He was truly a hero.

Christopher Hitchens was a man of courage and honor. Hitch always spoke his mind and took the fight to religious bigotry and was unapologetic about it. In addition, he was not a cultural relativist or an Islamic apologist like is the case with many atheists. He called Islamic ideology for what it truly was: totalitarianism and oppression. In addition, he was a great friend for freedom and democracy and although he was a leftist all his life, he stood and supported the Iraqi people for their quest for freedom - particularly the great Kurdish people. And as an Iranian, he was a great friend of the Iranian people and it is a shame that he was not able to see a free Iran in his lifetime. Most importantly: he was genuine and one of the most insightful and intelligent human beings I have ever heard whom possessed great insight and a realistic foresight of world problems.

I will write more on him later but he was truly a hero of mine and I don't have any other heroes. He was someone that inspired me in ways that cannot be expressed. For the rest of my life, I will try to live with his ideals and inspiration as much as I can. To be honest, right now has become one of the gloomiest and darkest days, and my heart feels empty.

Tags: Christopher Hitchens

Views: 264

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Amazing public speaker and a amazing writer. Blunt and honest with sharp biting humor. When I read God is Not Great in 2007 that's when I realized I was an atheist. Everything that was already in my mind was laid out beautifully in those pages. Loved all his other books too. He will be missed. 

He was and always be one of the great warriors against stupidity.

I have his "God is not Great" book - he was an inspiration to us all. A wonderful writer! A true hero for Atheism. He will be missed.

all i can say right now, is that i was on the phone with my Mom when i heard the news, and started weeping, sobbing, uncontrolably.  she was delighted that i could feel that way about another person i hadn't known personally, even one whose ideas she stridently opposed. 

A truly remarkable man, that inspired many people to be truthful about their opinions on religion, he was my personal favorite of the 4 horsemen..... He will be sorely missed in intellectual circles and I'm sure by the people close to him.

Talk about a stand-up friend - Hitch didn't blink when it came to supporting Salman Rushdie, and that is only one of numerous stands he took which are worthy of admiration.

@RickWarren: My friend Christopher Hitchens has died. I loved & prayed for him constantly & grieve his loss. He knows the Truth now.

WHAT AN ASSHOLE COMMENT BY PASTOR RICK WARREN ON TWITTER

Well, the man is so convinced to know the truth, with or without capital T, that he can't just keep his mouth closed on the subject. Thing is, probably Rick Warren thinks that he's being nice, there is some definite empathy in his tweet and then he just ends up vomiting shit. Way to be an asshole, asshole!

Cristopher Hitchens (famously) said that he would wish that there was indeed a hell for Jerry Falwell to burn in, which is also a bit of an asshole thing to say according some people. Being an asshole is sometimes the nicest thing to do, and being nice can make you sound like an asshole. It's all opinion, really. Hitch could dance intellectual circles around mr. Warren and the truth Truth is that mr. Hitchens has always held his ground against mr. Warren without breaking as much as a sweat. Opinion pales in comparison to reason.

what a sad day. we wont see his like again for a long time. Its going to be hard to listen to the theists crowing in triumph which i guarantee is going to be inevitable.

Though Hitch didn't bring me to atheism, as I had already reached that conclusion at an early age, his inspiration gave me the conviction and the testicular fortitude to inform the world that I was and to hold my head up high while doing it.

As opposed to Sam Harris' and Richard Dawkins' mild mannered style, Hitchens style of spitting fire and pulling no punches reverberated with me. As his brother related Hitch would rather fight than give way, a trait I see in myself although where Hitch had the ammunition of peerless intellect and eloquence my talents lean more towards fists and vitriol. For lack of a better phrase, an extreme intolerance for bullshit and intolerance. Hitch taught me that it's okay to make waves. It's okay to rock the boat. He taught me that in fact it's our moral obligation to do so in regards to the evils of religion.

I never knew I could feel such a profound sense of loss over the death of someone I never knew but even as I write this I am expending no small amount of mental effort to "hold it together". I will miss him terribly.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service