What area of science supports your lack of beliefs the most?

Science often proves many religious beliefs wrong, but what area of study (to YOU) supports your conclusion the strongest?

For me it's neurology. Your entire being is just chemicals and electrical pulses in an organ in your skull. When your brain stops producing those chemicals, you go away. When you die, your brain stops firing, you lose consciousness and go away (as in no afterlife). Our current knowledge of the brain can explain thoughts, memories, emotions, and your entire being.

Granted a higher being could exist without an afterlife existing, but he/she/it is so obviously uninterested in us that I'm uninterested in him/her/it.

Other branches include:
evolutionary biology
cosmology
geology (Earth is billions of years old)
archeology

Views: 22

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am not well read on the bible, but their explanation for multitude of languages has to do with Gods revenge for the Tower of Babel. This is a translation site are named Babel Fish, which I believe was coined by Douglas Adams. (correct me if I am wrong on Babel Fish)
I also go along with neurology,psychology and evolutionary biology.
Yes,,said fish is in The Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy.
If you missed the BBC's delightful make of Hitchhikers Guide, here is the video about the fish for your enjoyment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4iIo1tUtW0
Yes, Tedster is pretty correct here although I'll correct him more:

The idea in the Abrahamic religions is of the idea of a unilinear family tree: at some point we get to Noah, he has three sons, each son will come to represent a different type of humans (really read culture/society). However, this idea was crushed when the coloniaism started when indians et al were discovered. The easiest answer to your question is simply that they aren't human, they got no souls etc. Sad but true. They look like human but they really aren't.

Also, don't you think it's very feasible to think that Adam and Eve spoke a very ancient form of Hebrew?

To answer the question though, Philosophy and Anthropology (was mentioned in the form of Archeology earlier). I cannot even prove god philosophically, and the more I study other societies and cultures the more convinced I am that the idea of religion itself is just a construct of society.
As far as I can see, all of them.
Chemistry
Psychology
Biology

Chemistry because a god cant possibly exist in matter being everywhere.
Psychology Because people are too damn gullable
Biology because a god organism is impossible to exist in the sense of you cant be born with non-instinctive knowledge.
One pretty much has to include them all, because science IS the expression of reason, and reason is God's worst nightmare.

But hey if I had to pick one lets start at the beginning of the alphabet with Astronomy. Why did God make such an incredibly large universe, and stick his most prized possessions on a speck of dust. (A very beautiful speck, no doubt, but still a speck).
All science supports my atheism, specifically, the scientific method itself and its powers of prediction as well as continuing verification by the community of scientists (or if not verification of an existing hypothesis/theory- perhaps something as wonderfully dramatic as a paradigm shift.
Great ideas, everyone. I've got a few of my own.

Cosmology: This one's pretty obvious. Most religious text have incomplete or even completely absent descriptions of the universe beyond our solar system. The ones that do attempt to explain it are usually rife with inaccuracies that we are only recently (relatively speaking) able to explain.

Psychology: This is a theory I have, and I'd like to hear your thoughts on it. I believe that religions are created for two distinct reasons: A) to explain the mechanisms of the world, life, and the solar system, things that were at one point impossible to fully understand, and B) because it's human nature to fear death. Have you ever noticed that the central point of most religions is some sort of afterlife or reincarnation? It's very difficult and frightening to imagine the void of death, so it makes sense that one would want to avoid thinking about it. Enter: heaven.

And, this isn't really a field of science but
History: Having dabbled a bit in religious study myself, it's really easy to make connections between different religions over the course of human history. Stories are borrowed and retold constantly. One example: The idea of a great and destructive flood sent by deity as a form of divine retribution. The most well known is obviously Noah and his Ark, but deluge stories are present in many mythologies, including Indian, Greek, Chinese, and even as far back as Babylonian and Sumerian.
I think cosmology. First, it beats the creation argument hands down. Second, the letting of my mind wonder out and about the unknown expanse of the universe reduces me to the realization that I am but just a drop on the hot sands of the Sahara whose quick drying out is cast in VERY slow motion, we call LIFE. Just the gigantic dimensions of the idea and its reality does not in anyway support the "special", privileged position given to humankind by religion.
For sure evolutionary biology....specifically the eye and the flounder. Any 'god' that couldn't figure out a better design for our eye and the flounder, doesn't deserve to be worshiped!
I went to Sunday School from age 4 to age 12 and never believed anything they told me.
There is no science behind my unbelief. I'm just not gullible enought to accept religious nonsense.

Think about the scientific reasons behind your disbelief in the Tooth Fairy.
Probably there are none. Quite simply, it's a silly story and you don't accept it.

That's how it is with my thoughts about god.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service