What area of science supports your lack of beliefs the most?

Science often proves many religious beliefs wrong, but what area of study (to YOU) supports your conclusion the strongest?

For me it's neurology. Your entire being is just chemicals and electrical pulses in an organ in your skull. When your brain stops producing those chemicals, you go away. When you die, your brain stops firing, you lose consciousness and go away (as in no afterlife). Our current knowledge of the brain can explain thoughts, memories, emotions, and your entire being.

Granted a higher being could exist without an afterlife existing, but he/she/it is so obviously uninterested in us that I'm uninterested in him/her/it.

Other branches include:
evolutionary biology
cosmology
geology (Earth is billions of years old)
archeology

Views: 20

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know, but psychology adds to it. People are so easy to manipulate. Evolutionary biology also helps. I have often been exposed to to enough science as a kid. It's pretty much various sciences that act in concert with each other.
Cheers to that Michael!
Epistemology, the theory of knowledge and truth itself.

It's the invisible scaffolding on which all the other respectable ologies are hanging.

Science and religion both seek truth they just disagree about what constitutes a reasonable definition of it.
for me, evolutionary biology supports my lack of belief than any other field. evolutionary biology tells us that all life forms have arisen out of single common ancestor without any help of supernatural powers and only due to natural forces. This makes me realises that we are not divine creation but just part of animal world.
Logic [applied to all the other stuff on which the rest of you wrote (and all other existing data sources)].
On the balance of probabilities ther is no god.
Hmm, I think I see where you're going with this and is sounds interesting; proceed.
Well first of all I wouldn't say that I "lack beliefs", but as far as reinforcing my atheism goes, I'd have to go with neurology as well.
No one branch of science did it for me, It was just science in general. I study everything I can get my grubby little paws on. The more knowledge I have the better informed I am and the better I can make wise decisions.
Evolutionary psychology.

It tells us why our minds work the way they do, and why they contain things like the capacity for faith, religious experience and irrational beliefs.

A close runner up would be the mathematics of probability and statistics.
Evolutionary (Micro)Biology

Its easier for me to understand the process of evolution if I look at it from the bottom up.
I have one that hasn't been mentioned: Linguistics. Languages have been developed by different people at different times in different places. And despite this fact, they all have fundamental similarities. No matter the regional differences, habitat, food, language, religion, we are all human. So, I suppose that it has more to do with my humanism, but that has a lot to do with my atheism.

A question I've wanted to ask a xtian for a while now is: God created Adam and Eve? what language did they speak? And then how do you explain all the multitude of languages and cultures on the planet? I haven't seen this discussed, though I would think that it would have had to. I'll right it off as temporary ignorance, do any of you guys know?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service