Just wondering what some of your favourite atheist or even religious quotes are. I've seen so many recently and some of them are so perfectly worded.

Views: 741

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Une religion fournit aux hommes des mots, des actes, des gestes, des "pensées” pour les circonstances où ils ne savent que dire, que faire, qu'imaginer.>> "A religion furnishes men with words, deeds, gestures, and thoughts for those circumstances where they do not know what to say, what to do, or what to imagine." —Paul Valery

"Fantastic doctrines (like Christianity or Islam or Marxism) require unanimity of belief. One dissenter casts doubt on the creed of millions. Thus the fear and hate; thus the torture chamber, the iron stake, the gallows, the labor camp, the psychiatric ward."—Edward Abbey

"Vique's Law: A man without a religion is like a fish without a bicycle.

"Give a man a fish, and you'll feed him for a day; Give him a religion, and he'll starve to death while praying for a fish."

I like fantastic doctrines and the fish quotes.

Lots of good ones that speak to me.  "These myths were born of hopes..." is beautiful.  Never heard it before, or anything like it.

As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers.

Robert G. Ingersoll

I like the Ingersoll quotes.  I just purchased Susan Jocoby's book about him, "The Great Agnostic."  Should be a good read.

Agreed.  I have not read him yet, but when I see him quoted, I respond quite favorably.  He was an American treasure for sure.

Didn't she also write Doubt?  I am reading that.

Here a few more of my favourites....

Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the Creator of human intelligence.
Unknown

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.
Richard Dawkins

Some theists say scientists are "playing god" but I don't see any scientists deliberately making babies that will die of cancer before they can even walk
Godfrey Zoanh

Satan hasn't a single salaried helper; the Opposition employ millions
Mark Twain

It's better to live in freedom for one life time than to be a slave of God for an eternity
Mimoun Raddahi

I let the Bible do my arguing for me. 

"Arise, O God! Plead thine own cause" Psalm 74:22

"And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness." 2 Thess 2:11-12

There goes god again-sending strong delusion. Wouldn't it just be easier and more effective for him to send strong certification? 

Got to love that one.  Ol' Yahweh as much as admits he's a bastard, like he's proud of it.  All the more reason to disassociate oneself from anything having to do with him, his bible or any of it.

Gotta love that scripture!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service