Just wondering what some of your favourite atheist or even religious quotes are. I've seen so many recently and some of them are so perfectly worded.

Views: 770

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sir David Attenborough: I often get letters, quite frequently, from people who say how they like the programs a lot, but I never give credit to the almighty power that created nature, to which I reply and say, "Well, it's funny that the people, when they say that this is of the almighty, always quote beautiful things, they always quote orchids and hummingbirds and butterflies and roses." But I always have to think too of a little boy sitting on the banks of a river in west Africa who has a worm boring through his eyeball, turning him blind before he's five years old, and I reply and say, "Well presumably the god you speak about created the worm as well," and now, I find that baffling to credit a merciful god with that action, and therefore it seems to me safer to show things that I know to be truth, truthful and factual, and allow people to make up their own minds about the moralities of this thing, or indeed the theology of this thing."

"Evolved organs, elegant and efficient as they often are, also demonstrate revealing flaws -- exactly as you'd expect if they have an evolutionary history, and exactly as you would not expect if they were designed."

Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion, page 161.

I have recently completed a book of several hundred such quotations---soon to be available as an e-book.

I hope to introduce a few here in due course when I am less busy.

Meanwhile, Joe Sherbourne and Idaho Spud have made an excellent start. 

It may be that, in the modern day, no one atheist was more quotable than Christopher Hitchens.  While I'm not conversant with everything the man ever said, there was one quote from a video (a debate, I believe) which may be among the finest and most poignant things he ever said.

Rather than reproduce the whole thing, have a look here.

Also like this one but unfortunately don't know who said it: ...George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd.

It's a wonderful one. Here is the full quote:

“The president of the United States has claimed, on more than one occasion, to be in dialogue with God. If he said that he was talking to God through his hairdryer, this would precipitate a national emergency. I fail to see how the addition of a hairdryer makes the claim more ridiculous or offensive.” Sam Harris  

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

Neal Pollack is the author of The Neal Pollack Anthology Of American Literature and was asked…

The Onion: Is there a God?

Neal Pollack: God does not exist, unless you are my mother-in-law and are reading this, in which case I definitely do believe that He exists, and will raise my children accordingly. But if you’re not my mother-in-law, and she’s not reading this, then He does not exist.

Jim says...No disrespect meant to my mother-in-law. I just liked the quote when I first came across it because it captures an unfortunate truth. Identifying yourself as a non-theist is a delicate thing... can`t be sure how people will react and what the consequences might be. This really is too bad.

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." -- Carl Sagan

"I contend that we are both atheists.  I just believe in one fewer god than you do.  When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."  Stephen Roberts

And, as a follow up to that idea.

"Theists think all gods but theirs are false. Atheists simply don't make an exception for the last one."  – unknown

The Atheist does not say "There is no God," but he says: "I know not what you mean by God; I am without idea of God; the word 'God' is to me a sound conveying no clear or distinct affirmation. I do not deny God, because I cannot deny that of which I have no conception, and the conception of which by its affirmer, is so imperfect that he is unable to define it to me.  - Charles Bradlaugh, A Plea for Atheism (1864)

« Tous les grands édifices religieux (...) ont le crime pour fondement, l'injustice et la fraude pour maçonnerie et le sang humain pour ciment. »  "All the grand religious edifices have crime as their foundation, injustice and fraud for masonry, and human blood for cement."  Henri Frédéric AMIEL (1821-1881) Journal intime, L'Âge d'homme

"There is no greater social evil than religion. It is the cancer in the body of humanity." A. C. Grayling - Life, Sex and Ideas: The Good Life Without God

“I think we should be immensely grateful to the pontiff and his catafalque of chums for having, simply, had the guts to stand up and dare say: We made it all up! … It was a fiction, a fabrication. Limbo existed no more than Ming the Merciless of Mongo existed, or the Dong with the Luminous Nose.”
Euan Ferguson, The Observer. December 2005

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service