I am currently reading Blowback by Chalmers Johnson
Photobucket

Tags: What, are, book, books, or, reading?, you

Views: 24

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just started reading Dying to win by Robert A. Pape

Photobucket
This book's title entrigued me and I immediately looked it up on B&N. Sounds very interesting. I wonder...if it weren't for the short lifespans and lack of need for history education, would suicide bombers hail Samson as their idol?

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/says_about/suicide.html
Right now, I'm reading the Captain America Omnibus which is a huge ass comic collected edition. Also, I'm reading The God Delusion a second time. Win!
An assortment of comic books (particularly the new Batwoman) and some Warhammer rule books -- WHY AM I SUCH A NERD?!

Also, The General Theory of Love was a great read. Wonderful breakdown of the biochemical and evolutionary development of love as a mechanism for survival. Just don't bother reading the conclusion, it feels way too much like reading the conclusion of Galileo's Dialogo sapra to be worth reading.
Because rulebooks are fun? Honestly though, when I still used to play pen and paper too, I could nerd myself down completely with addons and rulebooks as well. That was almost more fun getting immersed in the universe that way than actually playing it.
Dungeon maps, out door maps, or campaign maps. I also enjoyed making campaign maps.
Crime and Punishment -Fyodor Dostoevsky (for school)
The Tipping Point -Malcolm Gladwell
Pride and Prejudice -Jane Austen
I just went to the library and checked out Freethinkers by Susan Jacoby, The End of Faith by Sam Harris, and Breaking the Spell by Daniel Dennett. I also have The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Infidel, and Why I am Not a Christian on order. Woo! I started reading Jacoby and Harris last year but never got through the books completely. I'm hoping I can do it now. Dennett sounds interesting, and I don't think my education would be complete without reading at least one book by all four "Horsemen" and Dennett is the only one I haven't read.
Dennett is also the one that is consistently left out of some accounts of who the Four Horsemen are......
With the exception of Jacoby, I have read (or am reading, in the case of Bertrand Russell) all of these and found them all very interesting. Hitchhiker's Guide series is just ingenious and throughly engrossing. Infidel is probably the most riveting as it is a personal tale...heartbreaking but inspiring at the some time. Enjoy!
Now that my big exam is behind me I finally have time to catch up on my Legend of Drizzt books.
War And Peace, by Leo Tolstoy.
Fuckin' great.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo replied to Gene Sokolowski's discussion Great New Book: Taking Liberties: Why Religious Freedom Doesn't Give You the Right to Tell Other People What to Do
11 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Gene Sokolowski's discussion Great New Book: Taking Liberties: Why Religious Freedom Doesn't Give You the Right to Tell Other People What to Do
11 minutes ago
16 minutes ago
Joan Denoo liked Gene Sokolowski's discussion Great New Book: Taking Liberties: Why Religious Freedom Doesn't Give You the Right to Tell Other People What to Do
17 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Gene Sokolowski's discussion ALL Politicians Should Be Made to Read: "Homosexuality, atheism etc: What's it to you?"
25 minutes ago
Mike Mitchell commented on Mike Mitchell's blog post Why You Shouldn’t Announce Your Atheism
27 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck posted a discussion
29 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to matthew greenberg's discussion Kansas "Religious Liberty" bill
40 minutes ago
Napoleon Bonaparte posted videos
48 minutes ago
Richard C Brown replied to Luara's discussion Meet Brother Richard
1 hour ago
Richard C Brown replied to Luara's discussion Meet Brother Richard
1 hour ago
Napoleon Bonaparte commented on Napoleon Bonaparte's video
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service