What book or books are you reading?

I am currently reading Blowback by Chalmers Johnson
Photobucket

Tags: What, are, book, books, or, reading?, you

Views: 25

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm reading Moral Minds by Marc D. Hauser. I also just bought Big Bang by Simon Singh.
The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.
Currently,

Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky (nearly finished)
Air-Conditioned Nightmare - Henry Miller (just started)
Sandman - Neil Gaiman (1/2way)
Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood (technically just finished)
I have always wanted to work a topic called "turd blowby". I see someone has managed it. This is "blowback". Okay, the meaning is to keep stuffing something in somewhere until it gags and chokes and spits up, roughly? Well, I love that sort of thing, too. I like to describe fatal car crashes in a minimalist way. It is always just a "touch" too much throttle at the wrong time that sends the car cartwheeling.
I've been in a big Sherlock Holmes phase lately. I'm about in the middle of The Return of Sherlock Holmes after having read A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of Four, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes and The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes. Next I'll read The Hound of the Baskervilles and then I think I'll be done with it for awhile. I need to re-read The God Delusion at some point.
Im reading two books:

1. God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens

and

2. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling(For the second time. Gearing up for next weeks big premiere!)
The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins - The UK hardcover edition with all the perdy pictures (much better than the American version)
I've heard some good stuff about this book. What do you think? Would you recommend it?
Hi Kristina,

Yes, it's a very interesting book. As the subtitle states, it is a "Pilgrimage to the dawn of evolution". The tales are told from in reverse chronological order, starting with humans and organized into "rendezvous" points, where humans share a most recent common ancestor with other species, all the way to the earliest life on earth. I would say that I am currently about 80% through the book.

It is a pretty long book, but if you do decide to read it I recommend the UK hardcover version, because it is beautifully illustrated... like a coffee table book. You can order it from the amazon UK site.
Great, thanks! I'll try to find it sometime.
I don't read, takes me years to finish one book. But I joined a mystery book club and they said it's ok if I don't read the books we can talk about them anyway. However, the last book we discussed was 'Dracula' by Bram Stoker. I did start to read it. Was exciting up until the 5th chapter, now I'm stuck there. Someday I'll get around to finishing it.
I'm just finishing "Brown Girl in the Ring" It's a Canadian book based in Toronto, and has a religious/voodoo tone but is a good read. At least I found it in the Science Fiction and Fantasy section!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Loren Miller commented on Loren Miller's status
13 minutes ago
Future replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Scientists warn we are on the brink of the next major mass extinction event
22 minutes ago
DAN DANA posted a photo
22 minutes ago
Pat commented on Loren Miller's status
25 minutes ago
Profile IconDAN DANA, nice girl, KOUSTAV GUHA and 3 more joined Atheist Nexus
36 minutes ago
Randall Smith commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
48 minutes ago
Trick replied to Anthony Jordan's discussion Free Will [Sam Harris]
1 hour ago
Trick replied to Anthony Jordan's discussion Free Will [Sam Harris]
1 hour ago
Sentient Biped commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
Loren Miller posted a status
"Has anyone else noticed that A|N links to comments aren't working? You get to the post, but not to the exact comment. Something's broke!"
1 hour ago
Loren Miller commented on Bertold Brautigan's blog post Do We Exist?
1 hour ago
Lord Ainsworth liked Freethinker31's blog post We Are Not Alone in the Universe
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service