I just finished "Diamond Age" by Neal Stephenson for the second time. I started Michael Shermer's "Why People Believe Weird Things" this morning.

And my to read list keeps growing:

Missionary Position - Hitchens

Infinite Jest - David Foster Wallace

Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid

Reamde - Neal Stephenson

Makers

Super Freakonomics

Paintwork

Glory Road - Heinlein

Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea

Satanic Bible

Necronomicon

Tags: books

Views: 250

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Of course my list is likely to grow much larger as I see what everyone else is reading.

The God Delusion.

My own personal reading list, or books I would recommend:

The Religion Virus - James A. Craig

The Bible Unearthed - Israel Finklestein and Neil Silberman

The Devil's Dictionary - Ambrose Bierce

H.L. Mencken on Religion - H.L. Mencken (edited by S.T. Joshi)

Inherit the Wind - Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee

The Anatomy of Revolution - Crane Brinton

The Last Place on Earth - Roland Huntford and Paul Theroux (Nothing to do with theism, morals, or ethics, but just one hell of a true adventure story about the race to be the first to reach the South Pole).

I've read Dawkins, Sam Harris, Hitchens, Hemant.  I want to read more but I'm trying to keep my list to a reasonably length.  It would probably help if I'd stay away from the 1000 page monsters from Neal Stephenson.

Good info on the Satanic Bible.  I'll look for the Devil's Dictionary instead.

I wish I had some better used book stores near me.  I really, really miss Half Priced Books.

It could have been a better experience if the manager hadn't been such a lying, game-playing, nepotistic bitch

Too funny!

And the library isn't a great option either.  No way I can get through that list of books without a good bit of late fees.  Even in the winter!

Libraries are really just glorified book brothels where the whores are free unless you bring em home late.

I may steal that.

Glory Road is great fun, among a long list of Heinlein favorites of mine.

Got any dragons you want killed?!?

I just finished Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children. If you haven't read it, think of a Harry Potter type novel written by Dean Koontz.

If you liked Miss Peregrine, you should read The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. . .it's in the same vein but I dare say even better. . .

On the last 2 chapters on Carl Sagan's last written book before he passed away: "Billions & Billions"

I'd recommend everyone puts that on their "must read" list! Great book. 

I just finished the Tea Party Guide To Being a Real American. Very funny book and I love the way the author, Roland Boyle, presented the story from the view of 'this book feels' 'this book thinks'.

Junior Teabaggers:

"Teabaggers are the opposite of poets: they're made, not born. Sure, there may be a genetic predisposition toward anti-government sentiment, conspiracy theories, and misspelled protest signs, but we can't depend on even the shallowest gene pool to do all the work in producing junior members of the Tea Party. That's like asking our ancestors for a handout. We have to work to put the fear of God and hatred of liberals into kids."

Recently, I saw a documentary about Gene Sharp's 'From Dictatorship to Democracy' but haven't been able to find it for my iPad. I would really like to read this.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

k.h. ky commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
26 minutes ago
k.h. ky commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
27 minutes ago
Atheist in FundyLand replied to Steph S.'s discussion Nepal's killing fields: FIVE THOUSAND buffalo lie slaughtered at the beginning of Hindu ceremony for hindu goddess
28 minutes ago
Atheist in FundyLand replied to Steph S.'s discussion Nepal's killing fields: FIVE THOUSAND buffalo lie slaughtered at the beginning of Hindu ceremony for hindu goddess
36 minutes ago
55 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
58 minutes ago
Atheist in FundyLand replied to Thomas Pietrocarli's discussion What if God revealed himself to you?
1 hour ago
Patricia replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
1 hour ago
Atheist in FundyLand replied to Thomas Pietrocarli's discussion What if God revealed himself to you?
1 hour ago
The Flying Atheist replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
1 hour ago
Patricia replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
1 hour ago
The Flying Atheist replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service