Will you celebrate?  Have traditional or non traditional foods?  Watch a movie?

My family is nontraditional.  My partner grew up in China.  He emigrated to the US as an adult.  So our family merges different traditions.  I would as well have dumplings, as stuffing.  He likes the American holiday foods.  Kind of exotic to him.  They do not have any religious baggage.  What little remains of my family of origin is not close, would not travel here, and has not invited us.  So it's just the two of us.  Plus 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 5 hens.

Someone at work put up a bulletin board, asking what side dishes people like for Thanksgiving.  There were all of the expected.  I added "Pad Thai" just to be different, but it's also true.

We will sleep late.  I will be the first up.

There will be a fire in the fireplace / woodstove.

I will make a breakfast, something with eggs.  Maybe omelets and pancakes.  Some juice. 

Some special treats for the dogs.

The meals will include

Homemade bread rolls.

That green bean casserole made with onion rings and mushroom soup.

Candied sweet potatoes.

Pumpkin pie.  Or squash pie.  I haven't decided yet. 

Maybe even mince pie.

If partner wants turkey he will have it.  As a vegetarian, I don't eat birds but he does.

It will be quiet.

We will not go to the stores and participate in mass shopping chaos.

Some time during Thanksgiving weekend, there may be dumplings.  Or we can be lazy and have pierogies.

I feel so fortunate this year.  While the origins of the holiday are filled with nuances of religion, colonialism, the beginning of the end for Native cultures, for me it's a time to feel gratitude that this is a time of peace for us, that we are together, that I didn't die in surgery, and my cancer isn't wreaking more havoc than it has.  That we have a place which is a refuge, away from the masses and chaos.  That the doggies love their human family and are such affectionate companions.  That we have reasonably secure jobs - compared to many others - food, nice shelter, a place to putter, health care coverage, savings, are not personally involved in a war, that we live in a country that accepts us more than any time in our history, as do my coworkers and employer.  That we are not dealing with addictions, personal violence, or worse.

For a little while I'll feel life is good.  That's not bad.

File:Pumpkins-6587.jpg

(photo uploaded from public domain, commons.wikimedia.org)

Views: 703

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You've got that right!  Where's that petition?

Tater tot casserole was a favorite of mine growing up.  A patted down layer of ground beef.  Topped with a layer of sliced onions.  One can each of Cream of Celery and Cream of Mushroom soup.  A layer of shredded cheese and then a final layer of tater tots on top and baked in the oven.  Good stuff.  Very 1970's:  a casserole made with Campbell's soup.

I love that FA!  I have made it before for my family, but no Cream of Mushroom soup for us!  I think I also used a layer of mixed, frozen veggies.  Comfort food!

FA - that does sound good.  But I couldn't help being reminded of a recipe I got from a cookbook illustrated by R. Crumb back in the 70's.  The book, "Eat It," was known more for Crumb's artwork than the gourmet recipes inside.  Though, admittedly, there were a few good ones.

To paraphrase, here was his recipe for a casserole.

Clean your refrigerator into a well greased baking dish.  Add a can of cream of anything soup, and put crumbled potato chips over it.  Bake it at 350 degrees. And don't worry about burning the damned thing.  Charcoal's good for your stomach, and it makes you shit regular.

Funny!  And really simple.  laugh

Cassarolet de tottas potates! Delicioso!

I just made that up.

For thanksgiving we always had mashed potatoes. Or as my partner says, smashed potatoes. Forgot that for this year. Maybe scallloped potAtoes. Or scalloped tater tots.

Tater tot casserole sounds good.

Hi S.B.
I'll be chilling with my cats on the eve of Thanksgiving, then back to accumulating fiat money for property tax on realestate i don't own.

Sounds like a wonderful thanksgiving for you and your husband Ning. Wish you guys a wonderful day.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service