What are some of your favorite rebuttals when someone questions your atheism?

Especially when they say something that makes you feel like an insensitive human being.

Views: 890

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I usually explain my opinion that we were all born atheists and that some of us were told what to believe along the way (by parents, teachers, etc.)  I was allowed to make up my own mind and in so doing have rejected theism, and that despite my lack of religious dogma, I live a great life and am kind and considerate to the people that I meet. Not that I have 100% ruled out the possibility of a deity (probably 99.9%), but that based on the lack of evidence, there is no reason to even ponder the existence of a "god". And if they have evidence, I would be happy to listen to it and if it is convincing enough, maybe even reconsider (it would have to be pretty amazing evidence though). I also remind them that gaps in our understanding and the existence of ancient texts (written by men) do not count as evidence. I have never been presented with any evidence after saying this. I have convinced several people that they do not want anything to do with me...I would guess that I am better off without them.

Very nicely put Joe! I like this - clear, concise, rational and to the point. I suspect that Catholics may take issue with the idea that we were all born atheists -they would probably argue that if your parents are catholic then you are born catholic, an idea that I find disturbing.

I also like Richard Dawkins idea that even religious people are atheistic since they reject the other 3,000+ gods that humans have worshiped through history. Atheists have just gone one god further!

I usually just reply that I believe in one god less than most people. If it becomes a discussion, which is often for me, I use much of the same discourse.

What gets me about us saying we are atheist to a religious person is that we tend to be labeled as insensitive, cold-hearted people. This is why some may find it easier to follow the herd. Great arguments, Joe.   :)

yes, it can be lonely live with intellectual integrity. I have a dog.
I guess if they say something along the lines of "But what about the bible?", then I say I would never believe that that horrible book is the work of any 'devine being' because that would mean he/she/it is a monster.
I like the "he/she/it". I frequently use "he/she/?", never thought of adding the "it" instead.
:)
I say that as I grew out of Santa, I also grew out of "god"™, there being as much evidence for the one as for the other. And, since I taught the bible as literature for 30 years and know great swatches of it by heart, that argument ain't doin' too well against me either.
In a similar vein, I often reply that I gave up "magical thinking" a long time ago, probably before the age of five.
All of the above and I usually corner them on the gender question. If they refer to god as 'he' does he have male chromosomes and a penis? And if so what for?

You'd be amazed at the number who say "HE is neither male nor female". Whoops!

Never thought to ask if they thought god has a penis!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Sentient Biped replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
10 minutes ago
k.h. ky replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Flying Spaghetti Monster invades heaven.
16 minutes ago
k.h. ky replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
17 minutes ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
21 minutes ago
Tara Toleman joined John Tidwell's group
32 minutes ago
Sentient Biped commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
Sentient Biped replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Christine replied to Sentient Biped's discussion If Atheists spoke to religious people the way religious people speak to atheists"
1 hour ago
Christine replied to sflmac's discussion God cured Doctor's Ebola disease.
1 hour ago
John Jubinsky liked Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life
1 hour ago
John Jubinsky replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Christine replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service