What are some of your favorite rebuttals when someone questions your atheism?

Especially when they say something that makes you feel like an insensitive human being.

Views: 877

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Joe, It's interesting you should say that. I downloaded a pdf copy the other night in an effort to better understand the document. That lead me to exploring more about the history of how it was actually put together, the books that were left out, the translations, omissions, additions ...good grief - how anyone can look at that book and take it literally is beyond me. We regularly have letters to the editor appear in our national newspaper where people are quoting chapter and verse as if that somehow validates their argument(s), what a hoot. That's a great quote from Penn.

My favorite rebuttals are some jokes I have put together throughout my life.

1. Religion, like a drug, is an escape from reality and like a drug can become addictive.  Just say no to God.

2. In the beginning. Man created God in his own image, therefore we could say that God is the ultimate extension of the male penis.

3. God is the adult version of the childhood Santa Claus.

If I'm made in "god's"™ image, "god"™ has a stinky anus.
Ha! God is too glorious to have an anus.

Slightly more offensive:

Religion is like a penis: You can wave it around and be proud of it, but don't shove it down my child's throat.

Religion is like alcohol: the more you indulge, the less coherent you sound.

My Jennifer, I want you on my team for sure!   :)

Jennifer,  That was an excellent one liner to catch those door knocking prosletizers off gaurd. 

Andrea,   When the Jehovah's Witness's come knocking at your door, you can always remind them that their founder predicted that the world would end in 1914.  He was a nutcase much like the one who predicted the world would end back on May 21.

When the Mormon's come knocking on your door, you can remind them that there is no evidence supporting anything that Joseph Smith said.  There is no evidence that Jesus and Isrealites ever visited North America.  The DNA evidence, from native Americans proves that Joseph Smith was  lying.

I think Mormons and J. W's fear knocking on the doors nowadays. Just googled Joseph Smith. Thanks for the history lesson.  :)
why do you assume that facts will have any influence on a believer?
I must be real slow or just tired for I'm just not "getting" #4.  Thanks, Hot Chick!

|\/\/\/\/\

|           |

|           O

|  c          >

|            Can't ignore the fossils!

|          /

|        |

"Please take your delusions to someone more credulous than me."

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service