Let us do some weeding out here. Please, everyone who reads this, speak up and be honest. Three questions (1). Who here believes that the Universe was designed by some intelligence ? (2). Who here believes in unguided evolution by natural selection ? (3). Who here relies on the power of reason and the efficacy of science and rejects faith in any higher, intelligent, guiding power ? Think of this sort of like John Carpenter's "The Thing', or it's 2011 prequel..we're trying to figure out who the alien is that is pretending to be one of us.

I'll start things off. (1). I do not believe the Universe was designed by some intelligence.

(2). I believe in unguided evolution through natural selection.

(3). I reject faith whole heartedly. It is nothing but belief without evidence, or belief            

contrary to evidence. I rely on reason and the efficacy of science. 

Tags: Faith, Reason, Science

Views: 430

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anthony,
I whole-heartedly stand with you on points 1, 2, and 3.

1) I have no belief in an omnipotent, omnipresent, cosmological Santa Claus with his little lists of good and bad boys and girls. Where the (so-called) good get an eternity of cake and ice cream and the bad little ones get an eternity of coal. I find this idea ludicrous.

2) Evolution by natural selection is the only thing that fits the overwhelming amount of evidence for such a mechanism.  Along with sexual selection and random mutation this is the only way we could have gotten to where we are today.

3) Bruce Springsteen said it best,"Blind faith in ANYTHING will just get you killed".  Succinct, relevant, and easy to remember.

I hope this helps you to weed out the trolls.

I agree with you! Trolls should be exposed and expelled.

1. intelligent design-NO

2.Evolution by natural selection-YES

3.Reason and science- YES

There is no skydaddy.

(1). I do not believe the Universe was designed by some intelligence.

(2). I believe in unguided evolution through natural selection.

(3). I reject faith whole heartedly. It is nothing but belief without evidence, or belief contrary to evidence. I rely on reason and the efficacy of science. 

Copied/pasted, since this seems to sum it up nicely.

I do enjoy Celebrity Ghost Stories, though, b/c people do experience strange things (as I have), only I don't believe they're spirits. My own Ouija board experience as a kid was truly strange, but it was probably b/c at that age, I didn't have the knowledge or life experience to figure out what really caused it.

Same with alien stories- I suspect someday, we will figure out what these experiences are really caused by. For now, they can be interesting, but along the same lines as ghost stories. They're just scary stories to me.

Don't follow ALL the stories and claims, though- I have zero patience for the Bigfoot, Ancient Aliens, Loch Ness monster, ghost hunter crap.

(1). Je ne crois pas que l'univers a été conçu par quoi que ce soit. (2). Je crois que l'évolution par la sélection naturelle (3). Je rejette absolument la religion .

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service