I mentioned  in a previous  thread  that we are separated by ethnicities....Such as African Americans, Irish Americans, Italian Americans, Jewish Americans etc......I failed  to mention then that in the last  20 years, there has  been  an increasing  percentage  of  interracial and inter faith  marriages....I predict that in the  next  20 to 40 years   there will be  so much more mixing  of ethnicities  and faith that when someone asks  what your  nationality is you can  honestly say   100% American....... ....Because   by then  America  will be truly  unique in our  genetic  makeup, and since  we share  the same  double helix  DNA, we will all truly be One in the same...........Since  people  also  marry outside  their faith, I also  predict that religion  will only  be getting  in the way  and  the majority will choose  to be  Agnostic  or  even go with Atheism....Wouldn't  it be great if  everyone  wakes up and  realizes  that god  is not real and  they can live a normal, happy life,  without  praying  to this  mythical  creature...............I would  be interested  in your  comments.....  

Tags: Ethnicity, Religion

Views: 383

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well WE call people in Canada Canadians, but they are Americans as well. People can call themselves what they like. I'm glad I was born in the USA, but sometimes Im not exactly Proud of it. I would not have minded if I had been born in Canada either. Both are good places to be. I think the right-wing nutjobs in the US are ruining it though. I hope they don't succeed. I think Canada has a better healthcare system than we do, and I don't think they have as many religious nuts. I'm extremely Liberal.

someone  sounds  very bitter.........

@Mindy.....Well said....Absolutely  nothing wrong  with Canada. In fact  some Americans have been  known  to flee  to Canada  to escape our  taxes  or escape  the draft when we had one.....Canadians  are   very much  like  us which is why  we have  each others  back.....We, as Americans,  are  on the right path  to an excellent  health care  system, if  only  the Tea  Party  would get out of the way.....

Freethinker, I have trouble understanding you. What is it exactly that you're proud of? I can be proud when I've done a difficult job, but being born somewhere is just something that happens to you.

@Pinius......Is it wrong to be proud of  a Country which has given me many freedoms and has educated  me, allowing  me  to become a Health care professional, and  help contribute  to society....  Is it wrong to be proud  of a country that has allowed me to Not Believe  in any religion and practice  the way I want without being  arrested  and  tortured......Is it wrong to be proud  of a country that allows  me to vote  for  my  representatives instead  of having  a Dictator tell me  how  to live my life....Is it wrong  to be proud  of a country  who now pays  me Social Security and  offers me Medicare so I can live my life  without  falling into poverty... Is it wrong for me to be proud  of a country  who has the ability  to protect me when I am threatened and come to my aid  when  I call   911.......It also  is nice  to know  we are the strongest  and richest  country in the whole world......Bottom line:Yes  I am proud  to be an American.................

I know that USA education is very patriotic and I won't say it's wrong, but I keep wondering what it does to your loyalties when you say We are one. You started the thread with "We are one", but who are we in your opinion? You went on to talk about US citizens, so I get the feeling that you won't look beyond the borders of the USA. OK, that is your choice, but with "We are one" you are proud to break down the fences between different people but NOT the borders between the USA and the world. That doesn't sound right to me.

In comparison: my country (lower case letter) has given me many freedoms too, and an education (religious). I am still very grateful for the second chance education I could get so I could become a teacher and contribute to society. I put a lot of hard work and money in re-educating myself. I'm free not to believe, I'm not threatened with arrest or torture (and I'm glad my country hasn't got torture camps abroad). We haven't got dictators here; our system of government has kept them out so far. I'm grateful for social security and medical care, and I use those no more than I need. In case of calamities I can call 112 and get help. The Netherlands are not at all strong and not very rich and that is all right with me. I'm not proud to be Dutch, my loyalty is not with the Netherlands, but with people. My roots are here in the mud, but that doesn't compel me to stop at borders.

Is America an exception among the world's nations?

Pride means admiring something you identify with.  So national pride is contrary to the "We are one" message. 

One can admire many countries.  The breakup of the Soviet Union seemed admirable to me.  Many African countries surely struggle valiantly to surmount their difficulties. 

I admire the USA (where I live) in some ways and hate it in others. 

I think you're right Patricia! My kids are always saying I tell things wrong! Lol

We are one?

That's both nongrammatical and nonsense! We are many.

IMNVHO, we are too many.

Worldwide, maybe three billion too many.

Geez  Louise  Tom.......Must I explain  everything  to you!!     It just means  all humans  share  the same  double helix...Which  explains  why  we  can  interbreed . without  creating  a whole  new  species...... We are One.....Now do you  get it????

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service