When I first deconverted/became atheist, I removed every veggie tales video, kids bible storybook, etc. from the house. For Easter last week (which my son and I celebrated by going to the swimming pool all day long) my mom dropped by with a basket of some plastic eggs and a Veggie Tales video. It's "King George & the Ducky" which is based off the story of David & Bathsheba sanitized and made cute. My son remembers Bob & Larry from my own Christian days and he loves the show. He's watched the video a couple of times now.

After a lot of nail biting, I think I'm just going to not comment. He also loves Dora, Winnie the Pooh, Little Einsteins, etc. If I don't present Veggie Tales as any different, he probably won't believe it anymore, right? Or if I should comment, what do I say? My son is 3. I "got saved" at his age. I don't want that happening to him, but I don't want to be over protecting him from religious influences (like I was protected from secular ones).

How do you handle issues like this?

Tags: grandparents, reality, salvation, tales, veggie

Views: 365

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

Well its complicated, we have to tell them the truth as we know it. At least we have the evidence and the scientific method on our side. But ..it is indoctrination to a point, but you would tell him what the sun is , as fact, how the moon orbits the earth, where babies come from and so on.
When they reach a certain age most folks dont hesitate to tell their kids that the tooth fairy isnt real. We have to stop showing respect to what we know is mythology, I think some of us still tip toe around it out of fear of hurting someones feelings, at least I have.
Certain religious sects let their chidren decide. The only decision here is to know the facts or believe in fiction.
Well, I'm not going to tell him about santa, easter bunny or tooth fairy to begin with. then i won't have to admit i lied :) same with god, i suppose. i was never told about santa at home, so when other kids told me i thought they were idiots. hopefully my son has the same response to theism haha
This really is the hardest question as parents. My feeling is you can not really teach anyone what they don't want to learn. I expose my child to the information and let him unravel it as he goes.
Allowing him to think about it first and see the holes is the first step. Then there is the back-up piece, when hears something from his friends or school and repeats it I ask him about proving things. It seems harsh, but children are much brighter and flexible thinkers than they are credited for being simply because don't know not to be. If he needs help finding information then I'm right beside him to do it.
If I make an unfounded assertion, I admit that too.
Religion isn't the only one. The other side of the coin is what he is being told at school with all these new Peace builder organizations. Suddenly there is this constant fear about what others think of him. That is as bad as religion to me. If one is selfless, what do you have to give to society?
You only have one conscience and one lifetime to use it. I'll take a line form one of Shakespeare's dizzy characters: "To thine own self be true." I couldn't ask for anything more.
Oh, the peas are always French. Sometimes they play "good" guys or at least neutral guys. I hadn't thought of the evangelical angle from a pro-American perspective but there may be something to that.

But my son was very misbehaved and threw our dvd player the other day, so we haven't had VT (or any other movies) available since then lol
OK, lots of great responses and just want to put my take, while I only have one tangentially "christian" video in my collection (The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe) I believe in the "inundation" tactic, my daughter has seen neumerous videos that have religious undertones...

Hercules which references to Greek mythology, Some japan3ese cartoons with Shinto references, Chinese and Korean films with Buddhist references... this was kind of how I grew up, surrounded by all they mythologies (which I got in books from the library) and I learned about Christianity in that context... i was a long time agnostic, finally affirming atheism in my early 20's.
I'm anticipating the day when my son can read Narnia (or before then if he'll let me read them to him). I've always thought that my interest in mythology is largely responsible for leading me to becoming an atheist. So in this sense it makes a lot of sense to let kids experience things with religious undertones as you say.
I remember hiding books of mythology. And lying to my mom, telling her I was assigned to study Egyptian burial methods when I was really just fascinated by them myself. Haha, sneaking independent study behind my mom's back. Now I just tell her "Hey mom - creationism is bunk!" I love not living with her :)
Hmmm... I solved the problem by getting my son addicted to Mythbusters. I do cringe when they (very very infrequently) curse, but other than that my son loves the show.
I'm so lax about swearing, as long as it isn't racially or sex-oriented ('fag' or 'bitch'). He's a bit young to be interested in anything that isn't animated, but I hope he'll like MythBusters when he's a bit older. Thanks for the suggestion/experience.
While I agree on the need for activism, she's my mother. And we just started talking again after about a year of silence. Besides, I pick my battles. I let the VT slide and in exchange she's accepted the fact of evolution. I have no doubt that within 2 years I'll make an atheist of her. And my son watches islamic cartoons and buddhist cartoons on youtube. That's one of the ways I teach him about religion. I don't know, maybe I am being mealy-mouthed on this one. But yelling at my mom for finally taking an interest in her grandson seems a bit counterproductive in our case - I already refuse to speak to his other six grandparents. She's by far the least offensive, sadly.
I'm allergic to church buildings, so I understand the sensitivity. But I've armed myself really well with atheist arguments and tend to make the ignorant theists in my life beg for mercy :) I am known for my mad-debate skills and a lot of people quit making Christian-style comments in front of me (including a teacher lol) because they've learned I know more about their holy book, faiths, and brain chemistry than they do. I dropped religion, but I still like the feeling of superiority :)
Ah but see I was ONE of them for over twenty years, so I know how they think (obscurely and without rationality).

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service