Yesterday (July 28) Anne Rice, best-selling author of Interview With A Vampire and many other novels, announced she was quitting Christianity on Facebook:

For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian. I'm out. I remain committed to Christ as always but not to being "Christian" or to being part of Christianity. It's simply impossible for me to "belong" to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten ...years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.

More here.

Tags: Christian de-conversion (sorta)

Views: 19

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, that's something strange to hear from a born-again. I'm still sad that she vowed to never write another vampire or witch novel again, though. I loved those series.

She refuses to follow the doctrine of any particular sect of the faith, and the stereotypes that go with it, is what she means.
She gave up organized religion not xtainity.
Maybe cardiac surgery could remove Him.
;)
*rolling on the floor laughing*
I let Jesus into my heart one time but the sumbitch slipped out the back door!
So true.

"I remain committed to Christ as always"

Such a load of horsehocky. I'll never read her books again.
yeah but she's back with her old homie 'god'...
guess the only way to take on your rivals (in her case the vatican?) is to dominate their message
which is usually god. but mostly money

so, if you can monopolize the money then the god, you're in a seat of others worshiping your power...
or is it prowess? dunno but who gives a rat's ass about vampire crap; the right-wing politicians and the like are vampire enough!
I think it's great she left organized religion, but is she really thinking critically here? Rice says her un-organized religion consists of the following (via LA Times):

"It’s talking to God, putting things in the hands of God, trusting that you’re living in God’s world and praying for God’s guidance. And being absolutely faithful to the core principles of Jesus’ teachings."

Forgetting the sky-fairy talk for a second, what exactly does she consider these "core teachings" to be?! She says what she doesn't like about organized religion, but doesn't say where they went wrong in interpreting Scripture. The fact that the Bible is so vague and contradictory is why there are thousands upon thousands of denominations of Christianity. Certainly she realizes she could have written a better and clearer book than the Bible?!

Saying you're pro-Christ but anti-Christianity sounds like a hollow platitude to me. Either you have to throw out the vast majority of the Bible and only pick and choose the "good" parts (which is fine I guess if you admit that's what you're doing) or else you have to throw the whole thing out as unreliable, superstitious hogwash (which makes more sense, but is a hard step to take).

So yes it's important to reject organized religion, but then you have to dig deeper and see why organized religion got the way it did. It's based on complete nonsense with a few nuggets almost accidentally sprinkled in occasionally...with a book that big, they couldn't be wrong 100% of the time! Hopefully now that she's apparently flying solo on it she'll think about it more and realize "unorganized" religion isn't much better.
So she doesn't like going to church....meh.
"I remain committed to Christ as always"
And the big deal with this is......?
I loved her book Memnoch The Devil. The whole thing was Rice trying to resolve and some how justify her Cathoicism. I agree, Big deal.... She's still delusional.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service