http://www.richarddawkins.net/news_articles/2014/1/4/trestin-meacha...

this is being discussed elsewhere, but i think this needs some discussion here.  

i'm curious how this ends.  like most comments i've seen, i don't wish to see this man die.  yet i can't help but marvel at the sheer insanity of it all.  will he see this all the way through?  will health officials intervene?  can they?  will his family allow him to die for his cause?  if so, will he become a significant martyr for the discriminatory crowd?  

there are some high profile politicians in Utah.  i'd like to hear what they have to say about this.  

then, of course, there is the cause itself.  he, like many devout people, believes that homosexuality is a sin so any union between same sex people should not be recognized by the gov't.  that's the crux of it at least.  i'm always amazed that people can get so worked up about an issue that has exactly zero impact on their own lives.  the argument that i use, which is quite simple, is that if you don't like gay marriage don't get gay married.  problem solved.  but it's so incredibly important to this man that he's willing to risk his health while having no chance of actually effecting policy.  this, to me, seems important.  since the policy can't change until it works its way through the courts, he's likely going to have to go without food for a long long time. which means that this will play out one of three ways:

1.  he dies

2.  he caves

3.  someone intervenes

i'm leaning towards number two, but i'll be keeping my eye out for one or three.  

Views: 1078

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Does anyone want to guess at the numbers, probably thousands, of enslaved black cooks spit into the foods their white owners would soon eat?

My guess:  Number of slaves:  8356        Number of loogies hawked:  457491

I'll bet many of them also peed in the soup (or spoon bread/cornbread batter), too.  (I remember a scene in the "Roots" mini-series when Kizzy spat in a cup of water before giving it to the snotty old lady who had been her childhood "friend." Powerful scene!)

When Roots was first published I couldn't afford to buy the hardcover version, so I signed up for it at the library.  When I finally got my hands on the book(s), I read straight through without stopping to sleep.  I identified with the characters so strongly that the next time I happened to accidentally look in a mirror, I wondered for a second who that "clabberface" was.

Just to clarify:  The "miracle" wasn't that seagulls showed up out of nowhere--of course they were always there. It was because the grasshoppers were eating everything in sight and suddenly (in answer to prayer, of course) vast numbers of the seagulls showed up and ate all the grasshoppers, saving the crops and the pioneers. It's a completely natural occurrence but they saw it as a miracle. 

Oh, I know that...that's why I had a difficult time not laughing at the tour guide.  It was the way she told the story, and her emphasis on seagulls. That such creatures should be there, in the middle of the land mass, miles from an ocean...and that they would eat something besides fish.  Seagulls will eat anything they can get their beaks and talons on....even bagels.
Or grasshoppers.

We have seagulls here and we are 300+ miles from the Pacific Ocean. We are on a watershed river that once had salmon. 

S'funny.  We're only 30 miles or so inland (Beautiful Downtown Burbank!), but the only time we see masses of gulls is when there's a storm brewing over the ocean. BUT we're in a valley, with the Santa Monica Mtns. and the Hollywood Hills between us and the beach. And the San Gabriel Mtns. right behind us. I tend to panic in flat places.

I'm a Valley Girl, fer shure, fer shure!  (But we lived right on the ocean till April 1945...no beach parties, though.  The Navy barb-wired off the beach and patrolled it for a few years after a [false] submarine scare.)

Well, good luck with that one Utah man. LOL

to sk8eycat on Monday (the reply feature dosnt seem to be working)..I am glad I am not the only one that feels like that. I wont fly either. they scare me. and have caused the destruction of some expensive video lights. if I ever fly again its going to be out of this country for good!

Matt, When the Supremes stopped the Florida vote count and gave Dick Cheney free reign to pull W's strings in 2000, I seriously considered moving to Canada, but I couldn't (and still can't) afford it.

One friend, who had a thriving business, did emigrate to New Zealand.  I envy, and miss her...and her kitties.

sk8eycat, I fear it's the xian conservatives who are supreme.

The so-called Supremes (SCOTUS) are so afraid of the xians that the Court majority invented ceremonial deism to permit prayer at public events and to keep the words under god in the Pledge of Allegiance.

I won't fly either, and if I had the money, I would very seriously consider moving to another country.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Michael Penn replied to JanBodh's discussion Whats your take on what Gandhi ji said about "mysterious power that makes it self felt". I have felt it few times in my life, have you ?
1 minute ago
Michael Penn commented on Joan Denoo's blog post Samhain, pronounced "saw win" by some
11 minutes ago
Michael Pianko replied to JanBodh's discussion Whats your take on what Gandhi ji said about "mysterious power that makes it self felt". I have felt it few times in my life, have you ?
13 minutes ago
Michael Penn commented on Joan Denoo's blog post How Jesus became God on Humanist Hour
23 minutes ago
Čenek Sekavec commented on Joan Denoo's blog post Feminism
38 minutes ago
Michael Pianko replied to JanBodh's discussion Whats your take on what Gandhi ji said about "mysterious power that makes it self felt". I have felt it few times in my life, have you ?
41 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Daniel W (Sentient Biped)'s discussion Upscale Sodomites Spread Ebola @ Starbucks!
56 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion Clown Show Coming: Why the Republitards Will Lose in 2016 Unless They Wise Up and Pick a Charismatic Candidate
1 hour ago
Michael Penn commented on Joan Denoo's blog post Human Genome 45,000 years old
1 hour ago
Čenek Sekavec commented on Čenek Sekavec's blog post 10 hours of street harassment
1 hour ago
Čenek Sekavec replied to JanBodh's discussion Whats your take on what Gandhi ji said about "mysterious power that makes it self felt". I have felt it few times in my life, have you ?
1 hour ago
Michael Penn replied to JanBodh's discussion Whats your take on what Gandhi ji said about "mysterious power that makes it self felt". I have felt it few times in my life, have you ?
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service