http://www.richarddawkins.net/news_articles/2014/1/4/trestin-meacha...

this is being discussed elsewhere, but i think this needs some discussion here.  

i'm curious how this ends.  like most comments i've seen, i don't wish to see this man die.  yet i can't help but marvel at the sheer insanity of it all.  will he see this all the way through?  will health officials intervene?  can they?  will his family allow him to die for his cause?  if so, will he become a significant martyr for the discriminatory crowd?  

there are some high profile politicians in Utah.  i'd like to hear what they have to say about this.  

then, of course, there is the cause itself.  he, like many devout people, believes that homosexuality is a sin so any union between same sex people should not be recognized by the gov't.  that's the crux of it at least.  i'm always amazed that people can get so worked up about an issue that has exactly zero impact on their own lives.  the argument that i use, which is quite simple, is that if you don't like gay marriage don't get gay married.  problem solved.  but it's so incredibly important to this man that he's willing to risk his health while having no chance of actually effecting policy.  this, to me, seems important.  since the policy can't change until it works its way through the courts, he's likely going to have to go without food for a long long time. which means that this will play out one of three ways:

1.  he dies

2.  he caves

3.  someone intervenes

i'm leaning towards number two, but i'll be keeping my eye out for one or three.  

Views: 1023

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What this man's actions amount to is little more than the spoiled brat who proclaims, "If I don't get my way, I'm going to hold my breath until I turn blue!"  It is a childish outburst, a tantrum and deserves the requisite measure of notice, i.e.: NONE.

Ah, you forget which country you live in, good sir :P

Haven't forgotten for a second.  I said it DESERVES no notice.  Didn't say it would GET no notice, because obviously it has.

More's the pity.

"Silly! A little suspect, I think!"

It's also of interest to note that Mormons believe that there will be polygamy in the highest level of heaven - the "celestial kingdom." So they not only have polygamy in their past, but are very open to it in the future they believe in. Such hypocrisy.

I've forgotten where I first saw this pointed out, but it's true. The Bible doesn't instruct believers to prevent us from getting married. The Bible instructs believers to kill us.

It seems to me that if Christians like Trestin Meacham are going to drag their god into this then at the very least they should be advocating the death penalty for us assuming they don't have the courage to go out and try to kill us themselves.

If they are not prepared to do even that much then they themselves are not acting in accordance with the expressed and unambiguous wishes of their deity and they need to leave their god and their ridiculous holy book out of the discussion.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/utah-man-starving-himself-sto...

I just commented about this to my husband and he thinks all the gay married couples in Utah should start bringing him cooked meals.

Made with coffee, tea, and/or Coca-Cola!

*cackle!*

Oh teh evils!

oh god yes lol

If one guy on a hunger strike could change legislation the US would probably be a lot different today. Whatever happens to the dude his plight is not going to do much to change anything. He might just be joined by other crazy people though, in which case it would still be highly unlikely that much will change but I guess no mayor wants a bunch of dead crazy people in his town... pardon my views if they are a bit dark. Im rather unsympathetic to religious insanity

Milo, I share your unsympathetic thinking. I expect we will have a lot of this kind of nonsense going on, and that is even more reason to state publicly our position of non-belief. The only thing we will change by doing so is giving permission to fence sitters to speak up, that the cost of religious dogma affects us all. I won't go to war with someone over my position, and I will state clearly, honestly, and absolutely that I do not have evidence of a god and all the stories in support are either third person reports or magical thinking, neither of which qualify as evidence. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service