http://www.richarddawkins.net/news_articles/2014/1/4/trestin-meacha...

this is being discussed elsewhere, but i think this needs some discussion here.  

i'm curious how this ends.  like most comments i've seen, i don't wish to see this man die.  yet i can't help but marvel at the sheer insanity of it all.  will he see this all the way through?  will health officials intervene?  can they?  will his family allow him to die for his cause?  if so, will he become a significant martyr for the discriminatory crowd?  

there are some high profile politicians in Utah.  i'd like to hear what they have to say about this.  

then, of course, there is the cause itself.  he, like many devout people, believes that homosexuality is a sin so any union between same sex people should not be recognized by the gov't.  that's the crux of it at least.  i'm always amazed that people can get so worked up about an issue that has exactly zero impact on their own lives.  the argument that i use, which is quite simple, is that if you don't like gay marriage don't get gay married.  problem solved.  but it's so incredibly important to this man that he's willing to risk his health while having no chance of actually effecting policy.  this, to me, seems important.  since the policy can't change until it works its way through the courts, he's likely going to have to go without food for a long long time. which means that this will play out one of three ways:

1.  he dies

2.  he caves

3.  someone intervenes

i'm leaning towards number two, but i'll be keeping my eye out for one or three.  

Views: 1023

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really wish people would learn to stop minding other people's business. People who try to control others by doing something ridiculous is just idiotic, & if this guy starves.....tough beans!  

This will, no doubt, sound cruel to many, but I go for option #1. Though, I suspect the endgame will be a combination of #s 2 and 3; most likely his family.  Then again, they could be as batshit crazy as he is and encourage him to die. 

And, what I suspect many will find cruel on my part is that I simply don't care whether he lives or dies. My level of apathy couldn't sink any lower. Hunger strikes have been around for a long time, the purpose of which is to put pressure on those in power for positive social change. In the Irish War of Independence from 1919-1923, Terence MacSwiney starved himself to death protesting the cruel treatment of the English to the Irish. The Irish used it again in the 1980's to again protest cruel treatment at the hands of the British. In addition, notables such as Mahatma Gandhi have found it an effective tool of non-violence to effect social change.

What Mr. Meacham wants is to call attention to his cause in a non-violent way; only his cause is the continued repression, promotion of bigotry, ignorant hatred and violence against an identifiable group simply because that group is different from him. I have no more sympathy for him than I would someone on a hunger strike to repeal the civil rights gains of the 1960's and re-institute Jim Crow laws and segregation.

If he wants to die, then die and be done with it.

cruel or not, i agree with you.  to quote Ivan Drago, "if he dies, he dies."  what i find amazing is how those on the religious right equate their struggle to oppress to those who fought for rights.  think of the state lawmaker in Illinois calling Phil Duck the Rosa Parks of our times.  the god delusion has completely warped their minds to the point that rational thought has gone out the window.  it's scary that this bizarre mindset is so influential in this country.  

I'm with you, Pat - his death would be no loss ... though I would love to hear him justify just HOW "this evil" impacts him, marriage in general, and/or the state of Utah in a negative fashion.  Then again, I'd be dubious that ANYONE could offer me a satisfactory explanation to that proposition.

that's when they start spouting off about "religious liberty", which is vague enough to stymie the press into reporting this as the bigotry that it is.  

Matthew, he has all the religious liberty he can handle. He has the liberty to commit suicide, and the ignorant religious reason that motivates it. It's his life - do with it what he pleases.

Loren, don't you know the standard religious,fundie answer?  Gays are out to molest our children.  What bullshit.  The fundies do not know the difference between gays and pedophiles. Nor, do they care. I agree with the rest of you.  Let the bigot die!!

I agree. I don't give a shut if the idiot dies. Buh-Bye.

Mel, you're so cold and ruthless :)  me likey!

Ha Ha Matt, and I meant "shit", not "shut."

Considering how people like this man felt about AIDS (and maybe still do), I wouldn't mind seeing him on next year's Darwin Awards list.  And a whole lot of Tea Party (aka TP) politicians, too.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/utah-same-sex-marriage-oppone...

on a related note, looks like some bigots want to start an uprising.  could the culture wars lead to a real war?  look at these quotes:

"State sovereignty supercedes what this judge did," Mack said. "The Governor needs to get some courage and grip."

"The way you take back freedom in America is one county at a time. The sheriffs need to defend the county clerks in saying, 'No, we're not going to issue marriage licenses to homosexuals."

are we getting to a point where the religious nuts and the rest of us can no longer live side by side in the same country?  it's really up to them.  they need to decide whether they can let this shit go and just keep their bigotry to themselves.  if not, and they start nullification efforts on civil rights i see a big problem coming.  

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service