http://www.richarddawkins.net/news_articles/2014/1/4/trestin-meacha...

this is being discussed elsewhere, but i think this needs some discussion here.  

i'm curious how this ends.  like most comments i've seen, i don't wish to see this man die.  yet i can't help but marvel at the sheer insanity of it all.  will he see this all the way through?  will health officials intervene?  can they?  will his family allow him to die for his cause?  if so, will he become a significant martyr for the discriminatory crowd?  

there are some high profile politicians in Utah.  i'd like to hear what they have to say about this.  

then, of course, there is the cause itself.  he, like many devout people, believes that homosexuality is a sin so any union between same sex people should not be recognized by the gov't.  that's the crux of it at least.  i'm always amazed that people can get so worked up about an issue that has exactly zero impact on their own lives.  the argument that i use, which is quite simple, is that if you don't like gay marriage don't get gay married.  problem solved.  but it's so incredibly important to this man that he's willing to risk his health while having no chance of actually effecting policy.  this, to me, seems important.  since the policy can't change until it works its way through the courts, he's likely going to have to go without food for a long long time. which means that this will play out one of three ways:

1.  he dies

2.  he caves

3.  someone intervenes

i'm leaning towards number two, but i'll be keeping my eye out for one or three.  

Views: 992

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

SecularCortex13.x, I agree. 

Let the guy die.....

Dustin, that would suit me just fine. 

Yep.  Who needs people like that?

I meant to add, "except as a bad example" to the above comment, but I was fixing a cup of tea, and the "Edit" time ran out.

Oh, well.  T'was good tea (Stash House Blend...loose leaf)

I'm hoping for 1, but 2 could also be funny.

I can't go for option 1. My mother is almost as batshit as this guy and even though she is obstinate, I still love her. It's a struggle every day, but I love her. When she dies, a part of me will die with her.

Someone should ask him why he is singling out gay marriage, and not railing against an equal affront against god - that of divorce. No doubt he would come back with the standard comeback - the bible says that god permits divorce in very particular instances. However, what do you suppose god's feeling in on a divorce rate that consistently hovers around 50%? Surely, that amounts to a fuck of a lot of willfully sinning being condoned and enabled by our government. Let's be honest, the option to divorce a spouse benefits anyone, whereas the option to marry a same sex partner only benefits those who choose that 'icky' lifestyle, therefore biblical doctrine is being used flexibly where some of its adherents want flexibility, and very rigidly where those same adherents want inflexibility. I say let those hypocrites starve themselves to death. A functioning society doesn't need them, or their hateful religious doctrine.

Future, I like your post, especially the last two sentences.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service