http://www.richarddawkins.net/news_articles/2014/1/4/trestin-meacha...

this is being discussed elsewhere, but i think this needs some discussion here.  

i'm curious how this ends.  like most comments i've seen, i don't wish to see this man die.  yet i can't help but marvel at the sheer insanity of it all.  will he see this all the way through?  will health officials intervene?  can they?  will his family allow him to die for his cause?  if so, will he become a significant martyr for the discriminatory crowd?  

there are some high profile politicians in Utah.  i'd like to hear what they have to say about this.  

then, of course, there is the cause itself.  he, like many devout people, believes that homosexuality is a sin so any union between same sex people should not be recognized by the gov't.  that's the crux of it at least.  i'm always amazed that people can get so worked up about an issue that has exactly zero impact on their own lives.  the argument that i use, which is quite simple, is that if you don't like gay marriage don't get gay married.  problem solved.  but it's so incredibly important to this man that he's willing to risk his health while having no chance of actually effecting policy.  this, to me, seems important.  since the policy can't change until it works its way through the courts, he's likely going to have to go without food for a long long time. which means that this will play out one of three ways:

1.  he dies

2.  he caves

3.  someone intervenes

i'm leaning towards number two, but i'll be keeping my eye out for one or three.  

Views: 992

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Patricia, do you think that at hockey games your mum was enjoying her favorite fantasies and in church your dad was enjoying his favorite fantasies?

No idea Tom. They were not happily married & seemed to just indifferently go through life, ignoring most things, including me....unless I displeased them of course.

I do think she regretted marrying a non-moron, & spent her time trying to get him converted. I spent most of my life watching her trying to get him to go to church with us. He was always absolutely obsessed with sports, especially hockey in winter & baseball in summer, & would corner me over what the players/managers did wrong. She used to get really upset every sports night on tv & who knows what he thought when we were gone Sunday mornings.

He finally got baptized when I was 16, & they began going to hockey games together when he bought season tickets. I told them I wasn't going to church anymore when I was 17 because I hadn't been buying it since I was 9 or 10, so left them to it, whatever the reasons.

WTF.  Stopped the marriages.!!  That's just wrong.

Darwin awards are usually handed out posthumously. I think as a humanitarian gesture, an exception should be granted. All we need at this point is a presenter. I'm thinking Elton John but I'm open to suggestions.

I have never understood people who get their knickers in a twist over something that doesn't affect them personally: GLBTQ rights, birth control, skin color, other purely personal matters.

I remember when inter-racial marriage was illegal, even in California.  It wasn't enforced here in my lifetime, but it still was in a lot of the Southern states.

Hell, I was touring the South in 1957-60, when there were still separate waiting rooms in train stations, and separate drinking fountains...right next to each other!  Really shocked me the first time I saw that.

We also played the Utah State fair in SLC, and the first time I was there a bunch of us took the Temple Square tour.  I had a very difficult time not laughing when the tour guide showed us the Seagull monument, and told the legend of the "miracle." Sheesh!  Everyone knows the Lake is a remnant of a vast inland sea that covered the area eons ago.  Of COURSE there would still be seagulls there as long as they could find food!

Attachments:

sk8ey, so long as these people think their beliefs and their holy book are being dissed, their panties will continue to do the twist.  Heaven forfend they should think for themselves about such issues, but since their preacher does that for 'em, they figure they don't have to raise a sweat about it ... THINKING, that is.

Drinking fountains right next to each other and separate shit houses. Nobody ever took time to THINK. These black people could not use your facilaties in public, but at your house they could cook your food, raise your babies, and do your laundry. "Miss Jones, I gotta go home now coz I gotta take a crap." How hypocritical this all was but most white people didn't even get it. Some don't even today!

And black women nursed white babies! Who reasoned that one out? 

What a remarkable photograph, Joan!  And how true.

Dennis, once...in 1959 or 60... I was in a drugstore on Canal Street in New Orleans, just picking up some toothpaste and stuff.  There was an elderly black woman ahead of me in line at the counter, and she was buying something that she had to sign for.  She had a Parkinson's-type tremor, and was having trouble writing her name.  As she finished and turned to leave...she hadn't even taken one step yet...the old fart cashier said the usual, "Why don't they all go back to Africa?"  I froze for a heartbeat, and then I dropped the mdse. in my hands onto the floor, and said "Her ancestors didn't exactly CHOOSE to come here!" and left. 

I don't know where that came from...I was 2 years out of high school, the civil rights movement hadn't really hit the news yet, I'd never heard of Rosa Parks or Brown vs. Board of Education, BUT I had been touring in the South for two years (part of each year), and I was still in a state of shock over the way people treated other people.

In the years since, I have done a LOT of reading about the history of slavery and segregation, and I think it would be fun to have every Southern white bigot have his/her DNA tested.  A lot of them would be tossed out of the KKK for sure because a lot of black women not only nursed and raised their owners' babies, they BORE them!  They had no effing CHOICE!

Excuse me for yelling, but this issue still offends and angers me...it angers me that some people use the n-word when talking about the President of the USA no matter what their political leaning. I could go on for days, but I won't.

I recognize and share your rage over racism, sexism, and homophobia. 

There is an exercise one can do when ear worms keep the rage alive. It has to do with going into the feeling (depression, fear, anger, sadness, guilt, shame, etc.,) until one feels silly. Then replace the raging ear worm with a silly one. I know of no better source than Monty Python for such an exercise. 

MONTY PYTHON
Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life Lyrics

Some things in life are bad

They can really make you mad

Other things just make you swear and curse
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best

And always look on the bright side of life
Always look on the light side of life

If life seems jolly rotten
There's something you've forgotten
And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing
When you're feeling in the dumps
Don't be silly chumps
Just purse your lips and whistle, that's the thing

Come on!
Always look on the right side of life

For life is quite absurd
And death's the final word
You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin
Give the audience a grin
Enjoy it, it's your last chance anyhow

So, always look on the bright side of death
A-just before you draw your terminal breath

Life's a piece of shit
When you look at it
Life's a laugh and death's a joke, it's true
You'll see it's all a show
Keep 'em laughing as you go
Just remember that the last laugh is on you

Always look on the right side of life

C'mon Brian, cheer up!

Always look on the bright side of life

Worse things happen at sea, you know

I mean, what have you got to lose
You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing
What have you lost? Nothing!

Always look on the right side of life...

Nothing will come from nothing, you know what they say?
Cheer up you old bugger, c'mon give us a grin!
There you are, see, it's the end of the film
Incidentally, this record is available in the foyer
Some of us have to got live as well, you know
(?)
Who do you think pays for all this rubbish
They're not gonna make their money back, you know
I told them, I said to them, Bernie, I said they'll never make their money back

I've seen that video several times, and it always picks me up....and then I forget about it for a while again. Many thanks.  I like "every Sperm is Sacred," too.  LOL!

I am sure that much of my current rage and ranting over injustice in general is an offshoot of my current situation; being so far below the federal poverty level that I'm drowning just trying to pay the utilities and hang onto my house.  In other words, FEAR.

I have often thought of turning this place into a new church...of The Sacred Avocado...(Dog knows we have a big enough "baptismal font" in the back yard...with obscenely high maintenance fees) but I have no imagination as far as creating the kind of dogma (catma?) that goes along with such an endeavor. 

I just keep thinking that if pathological liars like Joseph Smith, Aimee Semple McPherson,  and L. Ron Hubbard could build empires out of nothing, I ought to be able to do something.  Guacamole and beer communion, for instance...but that's as far as I've gotten with it.  And my JW sister would pitch a fit and fall in it (she co-owns the house with me.).

I just don't want this property bulldozed and turned into a McMansion... something that looks like the box a real home was packed in...in my lifetime There are a couple of those monsters on the street behind us; the most recent one took more than 5 years to complete, and the speculators who built it still haven't been able to sell it!  (Check Google Maps or Google Earth for  500 Eton Drive, Burbank, CA 91504...it's ghastly!) The first thing they did when they acquired the property was rip out all the beautiful trees...and I know that whoever buys our place would do the same to our avocado, lemon, and orange trees.  I could not bear seeing that.

Oooops!  still ranting.  Sorry.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service