http://www.richarddawkins.net/news_articles/2014/1/4/trestin-meacha...

this is being discussed elsewhere, but i think this needs some discussion here.  

i'm curious how this ends.  like most comments i've seen, i don't wish to see this man die.  yet i can't help but marvel at the sheer insanity of it all.  will he see this all the way through?  will health officials intervene?  can they?  will his family allow him to die for his cause?  if so, will he become a significant martyr for the discriminatory crowd?  

there are some high profile politicians in Utah.  i'd like to hear what they have to say about this.  

then, of course, there is the cause itself.  he, like many devout people, believes that homosexuality is a sin so any union between same sex people should not be recognized by the gov't.  that's the crux of it at least.  i'm always amazed that people can get so worked up about an issue that has exactly zero impact on their own lives.  the argument that i use, which is quite simple, is that if you don't like gay marriage don't get gay married.  problem solved.  but it's so incredibly important to this man that he's willing to risk his health while having no chance of actually effecting policy.  this, to me, seems important.  since the policy can't change until it works its way through the courts, he's likely going to have to go without food for a long long time. which means that this will play out one of three ways:

1.  he dies

2.  he caves

3.  someone intervenes

i'm leaning towards number two, but i'll be keeping my eye out for one or three.  

Views: 991

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't care for this man's politics, Libertarian, however I find this video helpful in understanding the role of the brain and its development that creates thinking patterns that seem unexplainable. His analysis of brain development fits with my understanding of brain/mind/body development. 

The Bomb in the Brain Part 4 - The Death of Reason - The Effects of Child Abuse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S16EHfKRLfc&list=PLPblR4bWCoxm1b...

Joan, many thanks for the above Bomb in the Brain link.

Oh, WONDERFUL!   I abso-effing-lutely LOVE brain studies like these!  I also love stuff that makes me think. I only watched about 10 minutes of the video because my sister came home from her JW "buybull study" meeting, and I had the sound turned up pretty loud.  I bookmarked the page, and will go back to it fer shurrrre.

Thanks.  {{{Joan}}} 

PS: I'm wondering what my brain was doing all those years when I was doing pre-choreographed ballet and skating....

sk8eycat, if you are interested in them, I have the five part series, "Bomb in the Brain" at my Atheist Nexus site Politics, Economics, and Religion.

Thanks.  I  saw all five parts listed on the right of the screen when I opened to Part 4.

He can start eating (or at least will use this as an excuse): the Supreme court just stopped gay marriages in Utah. 

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/57357406-78/utah-court-state-marr...

Boo.

Stopped TEMPORARILY.  I'll be interested in seeing what happened when the Fed judge rules on it.  Maybe that dip can go back to starving!

He had better be loading up right now. The next ruling will probably stick longer than a couple of skipped meals.

Maybe he could get a pie thrown in his face to start. 

Susan, I like your help in my understanding the Mormon values and traditions, even though they make no sense to me. Choosing that religious system requires some kind of brain power that I do not have, nor do I want. They present a mystery to me and your explanations at least offer a description of their beliefs, even if they seem dys-logic to me. 

I knew a fellow years ago in his 40's who joined the moronsim, & I could never figure out why at his age.......

Dear old dad joined in his 40's as well but that was a deal dear old mummy made with him....she 'd go to his hockey games with him if he'd go to church with her.  Real commitment there......Glad I was long out of that one!

Patricia, I feel the same way.  I can understand a young child being indoctrinated like I was, but an adult joining mormonism, or any religion, is beyond my understanding.  

They must have a fear of death that I don't have, or a need for someone to tell them what to do that I don't have, or something I don't have.  Or, maybe just the lack of reasoning skills that I have, poor as mine might be.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service