http://www.richarddawkins.net/news_articles/2014/1/4/trestin-meacha...

this is being discussed elsewhere, but i think this needs some discussion here.  

i'm curious how this ends.  like most comments i've seen, i don't wish to see this man die.  yet i can't help but marvel at the sheer insanity of it all.  will he see this all the way through?  will health officials intervene?  can they?  will his family allow him to die for his cause?  if so, will he become a significant martyr for the discriminatory crowd?  

there are some high profile politicians in Utah.  i'd like to hear what they have to say about this.  

then, of course, there is the cause itself.  he, like many devout people, believes that homosexuality is a sin so any union between same sex people should not be recognized by the gov't.  that's the crux of it at least.  i'm always amazed that people can get so worked up about an issue that has exactly zero impact on their own lives.  the argument that i use, which is quite simple, is that if you don't like gay marriage don't get gay married.  problem solved.  but it's so incredibly important to this man that he's willing to risk his health while having no chance of actually effecting policy.  this, to me, seems important.  since the policy can't change until it works its way through the courts, he's likely going to have to go without food for a long long time. which means that this will play out one of three ways:

1.  he dies

2.  he caves

3.  someone intervenes

i'm leaning towards number two, but i'll be keeping my eye out for one or three.  

Views: 1047

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, good luck with that one Utah man. LOL

to sk8eycat on Monday (the reply feature dosnt seem to be working)..I am glad I am not the only one that feels like that. I wont fly either. they scare me. and have caused the destruction of some expensive video lights. if I ever fly again its going to be out of this country for good!

Matt, When the Supremes stopped the Florida vote count and gave Dick Cheney free reign to pull W's strings in 2000, I seriously considered moving to Canada, but I couldn't (and still can't) afford it.

One friend, who had a thriving business, did emigrate to New Zealand.  I envy, and miss her...and her kitties.

sk8eycat, I fear it's the xian conservatives who are supreme.

The so-called Supremes (SCOTUS) are so afraid of the xians that the Court majority invented ceremonial deism to permit prayer at public events and to keep the words under god in the Pledge of Allegiance.

I won't fly either, and if I had the money, I would very seriously consider moving to another country.

I do fly but reluctantly. It scares the holy shit out of me!

Flying never frightened me...and the chances of a "terrorist" being on board are so small that I don't even think about that possibility.  It's the TSA InSecurity routines, and the fact that you have to arrive at the airport 2 hours before your 40-minute flight (from Burbank to San Francisco or Vegas, for instance) that pi$$ me off. 

The government is deliberately keeping us in a state of constant fear when there is very little actual threat. It's about control...power.

he gay. covering his lie...

That's one possibility.  Or he's afraid he's gay, isn't sure, and is afraid to find out.

Very few people are either 100% straight or gay, but the sad thing is that hardly anybody knows that little fact. And the few times it's mentioned in the buybull just aggravates the situation...confuses people, scares them, and makes them hateful.  Or, to quote one of my favorite authors:

"Hate or Anger are always, always fear in drag."  Spider Robinson

sk8eycat, I share your thought. Anyone who is so angry with gays and works so hard against them, has some fear of being gay himself.  

I believe that most men who are so terribly upset about gays have fear that they themselves are gay! It's as if they are telling you "gawd is keeping me straight," or maybe thinking "if this is allowed then I might be one of them."

Hey, Sodom and Gomorrah was a one time thing. Gawd didn't do it anymore, possibly because it didn't work. Then maybe Gawd didn't do it in the first place, or he simply went away.

That Spider Robinson quote is excellent.  I remember being more than a bit freaked out at my own first gay experience and spending something like a year processing it against what I had learned, less from Sunday School than from the culture around me regarding homosexuality.  Ultimately I came to the conclusion that I wasn't harming anyone and that the whole injunction against "lying with a man" was a load of horse manure.

The problem with most of these types is that they haven't the guts to actually LOOK at Leviticus 18:22 or 20:13 from a fresh point of view or question it at all.  That's how deep the fear has been planted in them

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service