Do you or should you use such phrases and words despite being Atheist? I'm not sure, but I am very guilty of using them anyways, mainly cause of the culture I grew up with in the US. A smidgen of me enjoys knowing that it is meaningless to me but pokes at the offending religion that is Christianity. I really should be a better person and just drop them from my vocabulary completely, yet I have the thought that it would just look like I am justifying or giving power to that religion over me. Your thoughts?

Views: 1557

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess we could give it to the theists to come up with good curse words, I don't think we Atheists could do better really, it would just come out silly saying 'Darwin IT!!'

I did a blog post on this back on June 17.  I invite everyone to read it if you haven't.

God fuckin' damn it, Alan, I read it. Bloody good show, says I. ;-)

Mordecai, thanks so much.  You used "God" just as I would have.

We assign items their proper place, you and I. And we agree in this!

Hi there Motti my friend!  You swear like a sailor!  Me too!!! ~ Melinda (Mindy to you! ;)

Mindy, I cannot imagine so refined a person as you would resort to such expressions. Christ-on-a-crutch, say it ain't so!

Sorry Motti, it's true.  I have a potty-mouth. :)

Oh well. Enjoy the f trip.

lol :)

Hell if I want to get into swearing round the world. All god's chilluns gots they ways and means to make they feelin's felt by other'ns.

My mother tongue is the Queens English; born in Manhattan, I grew up in the Rockaway Beach section of Queens. ;-p In the course of my life I have added curses from other languages heard in the streets and they have enriched me. Words from Greek, Italian, and Spanish were among the first I added to the repertoire. Later I found that some of the colorful words in Yiddish were taken from Slavic languages; more for my patois of profanity.

Much of this "bad talk" is tinged with religious overtones; I've heard Sicilian grandmothers curse god in frustration, and god knows these women are believers. It's part of natural discourse and to censor myself either way is unnatural.

One of my favorite imprecations is generally a big hit with people. It doesn't profane, but disdain? Oh my, indeed! It comes from Yiddish: May a baby be named for (that person)! Soon! :-)

I use them, and enjoy creating variations most especially involving Jesus because it's such a great name to toss around. Lately it's been "sweetpotatojesus" or "jesusonapogostick" or "jumpingjackjesus" or "goddamnjesuchristo" or "muthafuckajesus" or "frackinsmakinjesus". I could go on. As a friend of mine said, swearing is pretty unoriginal, show you have a brain and swear with feeling!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

John Jubinsky posted photos
7 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
2 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
3 hours ago
Grinning Cat replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina: Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
3 hours ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
3 hours ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
3 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
3 hours ago
Luara replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
3 hours ago
sk8eycat replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
3 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
3 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck commented on Loren Miller's blog post Is god good?
4 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
4 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service