Do you or should you use such phrases and words despite being Atheist? I'm not sure, but I am very guilty of using them anyways, mainly cause of the culture I grew up with in the US. A smidgen of me enjoys knowing that it is meaningless to me but pokes at the offending religion that is Christianity. I really should be a better person and just drop them from my vocabulary completely, yet I have the thought that it would just look like I am justifying or giving power to that religion over me. Your thoughts?

Views: 1500

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think this is much more a social issue than a religious one.

The phrases we use to swear completely depend on our culture. Those people who swore "by Jove" in 19th century England did not believe in Jupiter. Despite this, I suspect it lost none of its meaning or offensiveness in the context of that society.

I like my swearing and reserve my right to use it as desired. I might modify my language and use different swear words around friends who are offended by some words more than others.

Most of the time it is just an automatic reaction by me to denote annoyance or emphasis, used to communicate meaning in the same way as I use all other language.

I cuss like a Marine.

I can let go with some strings of sacrilegious expletives that would turn a Drill Instructor's ears purple.

That's a little talent has served me real well on those occasions when I've had some idiot trying to convince me that I HAVE to believe...

lol Mike! :)

You can just forgive yourself ahead of time and be forewarned that some might use your words as a cudgel to show you how you are actually a believer just like they are; after all, you call out to God and Jesus.  You could also use the late Aleister Crowley's method: each time you blaspheme by taking the Lord's name in vain, slash your forearm with a razor just enough to draw blood.  By the time the welts are just starting to heal, you will remember the pain and forego the holy names.  Be sure and get a tetanus shot.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service