Simon Johnson, co-author of "13 Bankers"

For three decades, the owners of property weakened protections for workers creating a huge and growing spread between rich and poor. It did not happen by accident or some cyclic pattern, it happened because of changes in policies and practices. 

If you hadn't noticed the changes, it was because they were small and persistent until they have come to a BUST! One can believe this is not true, but the facts are right there in front of you, if one pays attention. 

The election between two men and two parties will not change anything, it doesn't matter which man or party one supports, they both have gone over to the owners of property side. For evidence of that, look at the current financial advisors for President Obama, they are carry overs from Clinton and Bush. They both had moved over years ago and some didn't recognize the shift because it was slow, complex, and persistent. 

There will be Great Depression II unless and until the public figures it out. The loudmouths and fear-mongers are those who do not recognize the consequences of their beliefs and votes. 
I am telling you this, not because I want to make you afraid! I want you to wake up to the facts and their meanings. There are things one can do to not only survive, but flourish in this downturn. There is a lot of information available on the web, some terribly stupid and loud and seemingly convincing in their prattle. Pay attention to things like unemployment, private and public debt, when borrowing is a stupid thing to do and when it is wise. At this time, valid information is critical. 

Under no condition should you BELIEVE me. You look! You gather the facts! You pay attention to different points of view! You make a decision as to whether I speak from fact or fiction. 

What does one TRILLION dollars look like?

Views: 120

Replies to This Discussion

The Coming Collapse of the Middle Class

"Distinguished law scholar Elizabeth Warren teaches contract law, bankruptcy, and commercial law at Harvard Law School. She is an outspoken critic of America's credit economy, which she has linked to the continuing rise in bankruptcy among the middle-class."

Remember, this lecture was given in March, 2007; the BUST "officially began in December 2007".

U.S. economy weakened years before the crash 

Yeah, I did see that.  I just think people could have put themselves in better positions.

Thanks for the video-link Joan.  I love Elizabeth Warren!  I certainly hope she wins in her election.  I do want to comment on her video.  Even though she shows what people spend now vs. then, adjusted for inflation, I still think people think they need things they don't.  Just watch the t.v. shows about homebuying, etc.  These people on them want like 5 bedrooms, 6 bathrooms, 4,000 sq. ft., etc.  Also people want all the latest electronics, everyone have their own new car, and so on.  THINGS shouldn't be what make people happy.  People really could have a much lower-pressure lifestyle if they lived more frugally, and enjoyed being with friends and family (and pets!), even doing things like making a dessert at home and playing a board-game.  I don't like our consumerist-society, and lots of people need to re-think their priorities.  I DO understand people going bankrupt due to medical-bills, which is a damn shame in this day and age.  I also understand there are circumstances people cannot help.  There should be safety-nets set in place.  It just makes me mad when people say I'm 'lucky' I have been able to be at home with my kids all these years, while my husband has a (very good-paying, with GREAT benefits, thanks to his Union) blue-collar job.  No.  We are lucky about that job, but we did the work and research to stay out-of -debt and not buy more than we could afford.  People don't get it sometimes.~ Melinda

Melinda, You state it so clearly and accurately. Now, to get busy harvesting parsley, oregano and thyme. I'll be back on FB later. By the way, my tomatoes are just gorgeous and so delicious. Won't have enough to can; next year more pots of tomatoes. By the way, my garlic is just outstanding. 

Thanks Joan!  That is so cool about harvesting your own homegrown food!  Nothing tastes better than a vine-ripened tomato!  Gardening, of course, is a great way to be self-sustaining, and also get some fresh air and exercise!  I have not been able to do this since we've had our Black Labrador (Molly), since she tears-up the yard (not on-purpose.)  I do think I'll try some container-gardening next year.  The trick is to do it frugally!  I do get a couple of packets of free seeds in the mail every year, just by signing-up for so many freebies!  I always find a pot we already have, dig dirt out of the yard and just plant the one pot.  It's always flowers, and totally free!  Makes me happy. I love garlic!  Maybe I'll get some tips from you before next planting-season.  My dog ate a BUNNY today in our backyard.  Poor bunny!!!  I know it's my dog's nature, but I still hated to see that!!!! My daughter is on her way home from her University for the weekend.  I can't wait to hug and kiss her!  My son has an interview for a part-time job today.  He goes to our local (awesome) community college here.  Thank goodness for our wonderful insurance.  Our son is getting a brand new insulin-pump which costs $7,000.00, and we only have to pay $491.55.  I feel so bad for kids/teens who want the pump (which makes fine-tuning their insulin easier) but can't because they are so cost-prohibitive.  Have a wonderful weekend Joan!~ Melinda

Sometimes it's more frugal than was planned! I announced that I'm turning my box flower garden into a box vegetable garden, now one friend lends me a book about city gardens and the other talked about leftover seeds, but what she brought yesterday was all new! Now I have a hanging thing to grow tomatoes in, garden gloves, markers and ten packets of seeds for vegetables and herbs. I cannot wait to start!

Great Chris!  I hope your garden flourishes! :)

Melinda, dogs do present a challenge to a gardener and I think you growing things in pots is a good option. 

Now is the time to plant garlic. The old old Farmers' Almanac said to plant on the shortest day of the year and harvest on the longest. That doesn't work for me because our ground is frozen on Dec. 22-23. So I plant them now, they grow all winter and in the spring give off a beautiful show. When the green leaves begin to turn born, start harvesting them. I waited this year until they were totally brown and they are delicious. My neighbor looked over our fence a few minutes ago and asked if i had any more. She said these were the best she has ever eaten or cooked with. I gave her a big container full and I still have enough for my needs. Sentient will grow his in pots this winter and I look forward to learning how they grow.

One way to get garlic from store bought, is to use the tiny cloves at the center of some varieties and plant them. I did that many years ago and still get garlic out of that ground.  

Sorry about the bunny. I feel sad when cats get birds, but it is part of nature. 

So very glad insurance will pick up part of the expense of a new insulin-pump for your son; Yet $491.55 is a lot of money and I wouldn't be able to do that. I surely hope diabetes research brings more options, and that more help comes for health care costs for working people and the needy.
It is now 76 degrees, full sun, 2:52 Pm and the birds chirp away making music for my pleasure. This is a wonderful way to retire. 

Hope you weekend is special, especially with your daughter coming home for the weekend. Joan

Thanks for the tip on garlic Joan!

Yes, I know $491.55 is a lot of money to some people.  It is a large amount, but compared to $7,000.00 it seems like a good deal!  We are able to save each week, and have plenty to cover this cost.  With Cole having an auto-immune disease, we plan to ALWAYS have savings to help him if needed.  We are also lucky that my Mom and my In-Laws, although not rich by any means, have enough money to help him if there was something he could not afford that is needed for his health!

I'm so happy for you that you found yourself and have a great retirement.  You are a beautiful and strong woman Joan!  Everyone loves to hear your words of wisdom.  Today I am grateful that my son got the job he interviewed for, my daughter is safely home, and that I have you for an internet friend.~ Melinda

I believe this also Joan.  That is why, as I've said before, that we stay in our 'starter' home and paid-off the mortgage, try and stay out of any debt, have a savings-cushion against emergencies, etc.  We are trying to make sure our kids, 18 & 20, understand that if you have debt, you are a slave to your wages.  We especially tell our daughter, who is at a University, and will graduate with about $20,000.00 of her own debt (We pay 80% in cash), to pay that off IMMEDIATELY, as you can never get rid of student loan debt, even in bankruptcy (which I don't believe people should do casually!)  We set a budget, coupon when it's a good deal, etc.  I also like to practice simple-living in my own way, which is not owning too many things.  Things own you, not the other way around!  I don't shop for a hobby.  I hate the mall.  Eating out is a treat.  We pay cash for vacations.  I could go on and on, but I believe these things will help if there ever is another Great Depression.  There is so much more I COULD do, but don't right now.  I love reading about it, and knowing I could do more if I ever needed to.~ Melinda

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service