I found the following paragraph in Marie Castle’s latest book “Culture Wars” 2013, SeeSharp Press, p 116.  It is taken from U.S. Catholic Bishops’ “Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Health Care, Part 5, Issues in Care for the Seriously Ill and Dying”

“The truth that life is a precious gift from God has profound implications for  the question of stewardship over human life. We are not the owners of our  lives and, hence, do not have absolute power over life. We have a duty to  preserve our life and to use it for the glory of God, but the duty to preserve  life is not absolute, for we may reject life prolonging procedures that are  not sufficiently beneficial or excessively burdensome. Suicide and euthanasia  are never morally acceptable options.”       

According to this church, we don’t own our lives.  God does, and only they know what God wants.  Sound like a familiar racket?

Tags: catholic, church

Views: 194

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Any gift ... any THING is only as valuable as its owner decides that it is.

How do they know this? Did God tell them?

More than likely one of their god-representatives (who have the REAL SKINNY!  Just ask them; they'll tell you!) told them ... so of course, it's true.

And if you believe that, I got a real swell bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you, too...

What a racket!

(Which enables the tragic results of "human life is sacred from conception" that we've seen in Ireland and elsewhere: sacrificing women as actual human beings on the altar of woman-as-baby-maker.)

An eye-opening book I encountered by accident in college, on (actual) moral reasoning on life-and-death issues: Causing Death and Saving Lives by Jonathan Glover. Before discussing specific cases such as suicide, euthanasia, abortion, capital punishment, wars and assassinations, lifesaving priorities, etc., he examines a number of common grounds for valuing life -- and ends up rejecting many as inadequate or unsupportable, such as "sanctity of life" or "not interfering with God's plan" arguments. He ends up accepting personal autonomy and the desire for a worthwhile life. As you might have guessed, the arguments are entirely secular.

he aint U.S."
he's Vatican. dugh

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service