I have noticed that when something out of the ordinary occurs, people usually use God as the cause of a weird situation. How do you react to situations like that? For example, back in January when animals were randomly dying off people were convinced that it was the end of the world. How did you react and what did you think? Personally, I get sort of scared of such events because if their is no answer, I feel like logic has failed my. Share your opinions!

Tags: Weird, happenings, opinions

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well, when the animals were dying off, I assumed it was some new superbug killing them off. >.> After all, new diseases are always occurring.

As for when weird shiznit happens in my life, I will joke that "if there is a god, I'm clearly his personal sitcom." But I just think it's an annoying coincidence. I'm trying to think of something that clearly cannot be explained for me that I witnessed firsthand... But I can't think of anything right now.

I try to think of any possible explanations I can come up with. Usually down the road I stumble across a news article or podcast that announces the explanation. I can't think of any modern occurrences that still really have everyone stumped. There's usually some compelling and plausible theory for everything, even from the get go.

Being very curious critters, us humans seem to have a need to have answers for everything.  And, if the answer isn't there (because the cause or underlying phenomena has yet to be discovered), the majority of us (humans) hit the default magic explanation button - god, yahweh, allah, ganesha, quetzacoatl, etc. - made it happen.

In speaking with theists, I always get the impression that the 3 most feared words in the English language (regarding the unexplained) are, "I don't know."  If the phenomena can be attributed to magic spirits, it gives them a sense of understanding (albeit false) and comfort.

I know it's an old adage, but an apropos one. Science has questions that may never be answered.  Religion has answers that may never be questioned.

I don't jump to any conclusion, but assume that a logical explanation exists.  I'll often check to see if similar events have occurred in the past.  When the big blackout occurred in the northeast US about 7 years ago, a lot of people were freaking out thinking that it was a terrorist attack.  I vaguely recalled hearing about some large blackouts in the 1970s, so I looked it up and confirmed that such blackouts had occurred before. 

I am of the opinion that a supernatural explanation is, by definition, a lesser likely cause than a natural explanation.

I fall back on the scientific explanation: "Shit happens."

Really though, the expectation of some people that they have to have a quick answer to a question is the real problem here. The thing to learn though is when you don't have one, it's not necessary to make one up; at least, not if you're an adult.

use 'G'od... you mean god, as in the creation myth that every human culture shares? do to... the days before science.. ugh hugh
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction so I feel there is always an answer to everything even if it seems gray at first. If it isn't all that important we will brush it off. If it is, we will search for the answer.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service