Please tell me that I'm not the only one who thinks this simply shouldn't be allowed or practiced!

So today a friend messages me on Facebook. She asks me to help her with a project. Sounds pretty mundane, so I ask her about it. She can't tell me what it is, some sort of "trust" thing. It's apparently for an online course she's taking. She tries to make me promise to do whatever it is for at least a week. Already warning bells are going off in my head, because I don't believe in those sorts of projects.

I ask a lot of questions, which aren't too helpful. I finally agree because I'm not really sure how to say no. So she tells me to start drinking until I need to pee. I'm busy and all, but I figure it'll take 20 minutes. No. I go for about an hour or two, getting completely sick and finally in so much pain that I have to wonder how long this will go on until she lets me stop, wondering how on earth I can re-do this every day for a week. In addition, I have to constantly update her on how I feel. Then I find out that she honestly expects me to hold my pee for a week. Straight. Then I can have one bathroom break, and then one more week of holding it.

I freaked out when I finally peiced that together. Aside from the stabbing, stinging pain and pressure, I was sick to my stomach, lightheaded, tired, and then starting crying and hyperventilating. So I begged her for sweet mercy. She gave me a half-assed pep-talk. But I could not do it. I don't know how anyone could. She guilted me with her failing the class and not getting a scholarship. But I quit anyway. It's such an unethical assignment I don't think it's even legal. People could, quite literally, die. And she has to make 15 people do this!

After unsuccessful begging, when I finally told her I had to pee, she preceded to say how she had learned that I was untrustable and blah blah blah. I think she may have blocked me because she had no response to my talented groveling/apology. I rarely have an experience like this... It seems like the sort of thing that only happens on teen sitcoms. I'm pretty sweet, not too hard to get along with. Now I have to go to school afraid to see this girl.

So I feel a little bad, but not very. Because I don't think I could make someone do that, scholarship or not. And I'm going to beat up her professor.

Am I alone in being horrified by this? Is it legal? My psychology class showed me much tamer studies that were considered unethical. Not to mention that it would be far simpler to merely teach the material as it's known, rather than torture innocent people again and again. It's incredibly worrisome that a professor could have so little foresight!

Insights, opinions, similar stories? 

Tags: assignment, immoral, pee, study

Views: 55

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"I'm pretty sweet, not too hard to get along with."

You're too sweet. Why would you even agree to do such a thing? You have no obligation to earn anyone's trust, especially by doing something painful or harmful. Tell that bitch to take a long walk off a short pier, in my opinion.
Mostly because I didn't realize what I was doing. :( It seemed like I'd just drink until I needed to pee, she'd write down the time, and we'd be done.
Sorry to bump this back up, but I figured I should update.

I did contact someone from the school, who was confused and frightened by it. She was unaware of it happening, and the school has no physiology department, so it didn't add up.
I contacted the girl who had the assignment for more info but she ignored me, so I just gave the school her name. She doesn't attend the school, but has apparently tested for something there. The likely conclusion we came to was that it was another local college hosting a class at BATC. But we'll never know, and the assignment may well continue, because my dear friend Jennifer is a bitch.

I sent her another message on facebook explaining that she does have a legal standing against this. Which she will probably ignore. I have a really hard time understanding her. It makes me mad.

This is what I wrote:

"Okay, I'll never quite understand this situation or how you think it's okay, but know that you have a legal standing against this professor. He/She could get fired. Easily. It would never make it past an ethics committee, so it didn't, which means it was not approved. You simply did not have to go through this, nor did you have to force anyone else through it. It's disgusting, immoral, and the effects of this sort of thing in terms of bladder damage and water toxicity is well-known and entirely dangerous.

I contacted the BATC, but without the class information, they can't do anything. So essentially, you've screwed yourself for absolutely no reason. You could still contact someone, easily, and actually make a change. Or you could take the chance of letting people hurt their bodies even risking death because for some inconceivable reason, you're angry with me.

Sincerely,
Jessica"

Does that sound reasonable? Obviously I'm stupidly easy to get along with, but I didn't want to leave this be. I want this girl to look back and actually realize that this shouldn't happen. And maybe get out some of my negative energy, heheh...
it's a good, reasoned response. I'm sure one day she will look back and realise how wrong it was, but whether that day is any time soon is another matter.
I wonder if she had an undiagnosed mental illness? I doubt any college would approve of this.
Wow! Sorry but she sounds like an unempathetic a$$hole. Did she even do it? I'm sire if you asked a doctor s/he would tell you that you are def not supposed to do that for health reasons. Remember the 'wee for a wii' incident?
Definitely.

This girl is kind of socially awkward and off I guess, but I don't see that it's a mental illness, just... I don't know, a simple mind? Assignment = A? A = Good?
That's... That's fucking retarded! I can't put it in any other words. What kind of a sick assignment is this? Might as well strap someone down and periodically cut them. This is really fucked.
She finally did reply, long story short:

She said that she had to do it when she was a baby and it saved her life, so people can't tell her it's harmful.

I say that whatever her case, to the average person it is still dangerous and unnecessary.

So now it's sounding like it was sort of a make-your-own assignment. I guess that's relieving, but I wish she'd have been up front, obviously. I wonder what the professor thinks?

It's like the saga never ends.
Was she standing on an electrified grid? Peeing would have electrocuted her? This sounds so very bogus. I think she was just pranking you, didn't realize how harmful it could be, and is just covering her ass. Or she's auditioning for a spot on Dr. Evil's team.
haha, I have no idea. She's really not the pranking type though. She can barely talk to people, let alone prank them. She seems like she can't be intentionally mean, but sort of acts like she's trying to fill in the pre-teen archetype of being simple, unable to resolve conflict, quick to fight... I can't quite understand how her mind works.
Heh. When I couldn't quite understand how religion works, I realized it doesn't.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service