The home office here in england has just published a list of undesirable people who are banned from entering this country, they include a famous right wing American talk show host and a certain Mr Phelps.
This sort of raises interesting issues, the first one being should you ban someone from entering a country simply because you don't like what they say?
The other issue is that according to the home office the famous right wing radio talk show host would be be treated no differently than other extremistist and would be under constant serveilance by security services if he were an English national.
The question being why aren't these right wing extremeists under constant surveilance by American secret services?

Views: 122

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dang.......That's what we usually hear from hospital admin these days.
Thank you Felch, and Angie. Well said, both of you.
11. “Of what use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings?” - Diogenes of Sinope
Please don't give me such fucking stupid platitudes, I find it incredible this attitude of oh you must have free speech coming from a country whose government regularly seeks to undermine governments which it does not approve of, where you only have to look at the state of american politics to see that free speech is an illusion.Yes thats countries with democratically elected governments which get overthrown by US foreign policy.
I cannot understand how you can say you don't see the connection between what happened in germany in the 30's and allowing any nutjob to stand up and say what they like.It was purely though manipulation of the media that the nazis where able to suppress any criticism of their regime while maintaining the illusion of having 99% support in elections.You have some serious thinking to do before you suggest that public opinion will defeat the lunatic in power.
No wonder the loonies have it so easy in the states if this is the height of educated thinking.
It makes me fucking angry to see a once great county churning out people so brain washed.
despite what you may think I don't hate all Americans, I just hate what has been done to them.
I for one am very happy for my country to ban any person from entering who tries to enter with the sole intent of spreading hatred and fear be it for reasons of race, religion, sexual orientation or the size of their feet.
You'll also find that you get very quickly arrested for making comments designed to incite violence or hatred against just about anyone you care to think of in this country.In Germany you will be arrested for making pro-nazi comments.
Time capsule Karl. Please, oh please, make a time capsule for yourself of your priceless thoughts. I thought you were an OK kid, but you've spattered diarrhoea all over that illusion.

Your babble is worthy of a creationist. Yes, I agree, you would have voted Hitler in yourself if you were there at the time, and you would have had idiots like us defending your right to do so. By being here I assume you represent the right hand side of the British bell curve. That being the case, no wonder your empire has collapsed. Its all just hot air nowadays. If you can't be bothered educating and improving yourself, you deserve the country you have.
I find it incredible this attitude of oh you must have free speech coming from a country whose government regularly seeks to undermine governments which it does not approve of, where you only have to look at the state of american politics to see that free speech is an illusion.Yes thats countries with democratically elected governments which get overthrown by US foreign policy.

Karl, you're pretty ignorant to the way in which the US government functions if you think that the first amendment has anything to do with shitty and covert foreign policy.

You have some serious thinking to do before you suggest that public opinion will defeat the lunatic in power.

WTF??? You are aware of what booting almost all of the Republicans from office means, right? You do know that happened, right?

I'm thoroughly disgusted by the thought of imprisoning anyone for committing, essentially, thought crime. It takes a general lack of backbone, to honestly feel threatened enough by the tirades of assholes to require the government to intervene. Racist hateful people do a superb job marginalising themselves. If your government wants to blackball other nations assholes, that's their prerogative. If you want to arrest your crazies for thought crime, that's your folly. As for us, we'll do things our way:

Karl: I for one am very happy for my country to ban any person from entering who tries to enter with the sole intent of spreading hatred and fear be it for reasons of race, religion, sexual orientation or the size of their feet.

Now you're making yourself clear - you don't want a government, you want Mary Poppins. Why didn't you just say so in the first place ? You wouldn't have wasted people's time in taking you seriously.
Just some background to clarify the issues for people that may be somewhat stunned by Karl's position in things.

Karl comes from Great Britain (oxymoron, I know) where they have this thing called the ASBO - Anti-Social Behaviour Order. What it is in a nutshell, is citizen initiated order criminalising the behaviour of a person they find disagreeable. Doesn't matter what for, all that matters is you get get enough people to say they don't like it. The legislation is pretty much unique in the civilised world, and it's proudest innovation by far is that to enact an ASBO against an individual -

Hearsay evidence is allowed, meaning the defendant is denied the ability to cross-examine all prosecution witnesses.

So it's true democracy - law and order as a popularity contest. In light of the people of Great Britain accepting this as reasonable, Karl's arguments should really come as no surprise. From there its no big deal to think that anybody that disagrees with him is -

a) a random nutcase
b) a Nazi
c) brainwashed
or d) all of the above

Hope this helps demystify things.
I really cannot believe that you are as stupid as you seem felch, the ASBO has nothing whatever with keeping american right wing lunatics out of britain, the ASBO is more an attempt to simplify the task of dealing with anti-social behaviour.
I am afriad that as far as vast majority of people in Great Britain are concerned you can keep your lunatics and their bigotted views, and you can keep your right to free speech which causes most of the problems in america today.
Like I said before there seems to be no shortage of stupidity in America but we are trying to keep it there.
Have you ever been to America? Spent more than a month here? Have you ever even met an American?

Something tells me by the general bigoted ignorance of your statements, that the answer is most likely an emphatic "No," probably followed by some half-assed remark excusing yourself from ever doing so. Which is fine. The problem is, Karl, that observing assessing and diagnosing a problem, especially one within an entire culture, requires a much more intimate level of contact than generalizations and willful ignorance can ever hope to provide.

Also, next time you attack Felch for being American, you may want to take a look at his profile and the way he uses some of his vowels. (Hint. American English is less fond of the letter "u")
Actually, most of us really are pretty dim.

Not all though.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service