Sent as a letter to the editor of the Bridgeport (NE) News-Blade and the Omaha World-Herald.

Governor Bobby Jindal (R-Louisiana) put it this way at the GOP Governor’s Convention after the General Election: The GOP needs to stop being the stupid party.

Every disabilities group and every veterans group supported the UN Treaty on the rights of the disabled. Disabled vet Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) passionately pleaded for its passage. Former Sen. and disabled vet Bob Dole (R-Kans.) sat mute on the Senate floor in his wheelchair while his colleagues one after another repudiated him.

In the end, the vote came down to the organized actions of homeschoolers. Such a tiny minority, whilst the 10% (the disabled) watched our Senate shame itself before the world, though the treaty was negotiated by President GW Bush. I am embarrassed over the travesty of antics to which Sen. Johanns acquiesced.

As I am a disabled veteran, Sen. Mike Johanns does not represent me. He gave me, my wife, my mother (a polio survivor), Mr McCain, Mr Dole, and every other disabled person a slap in the face with his vote against a treaty modeled after our own laws, which no way encroached on our sovereignty. The treaty exported our model GOP law to the rest of the world. The USA does not recognize before the world that the disabled are worthy of rights. - James, incensed in Nebraska.

Tags: ADA, UN

Views: 115

Replies to This Discussion

It'll be interesting to see if there's any reaction, either there or from Senator Johanns, whom I assume you have addressed directly regarding this issue.

I have addressed Sen Johanns before (on the issue of the proposed closure of our post office here, now defeated after three attempts).

On this issue, I sadly did not, as I was unaware of the issue coming before the Senate until it was too late.

The Omaha World-Herald is a strong supporter of Sen Johanns, and members of REASON-Omaha opined that the OWH would refuse to run it. They were surprised when it did in fact appear.

As for the News-Blade, it has not come out yet.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service