"Un-American" law: "dependence upon Almighty God is vital"

The National Atheist Party Condemns Kentucky Law as Un-American

According to the new law, "Kentucky's law is a legislative finding, avowed as factual, that the Commonwealth is not safe absent reliance on Almighty God. Further, (the law) places a duty upon the executive director to publicize the assertion while stressing to the public that dependence upon Almighty God is vital, or necessary, in assuring the safety of the commonwealth.”

The court found that the law was in violation of Kentucky’s constitution.

Tags: God, commonwealth, dependence, finding, legislative, safety

Views: 220

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A guy I graduated a Catholic high school with (in 1949!) found me several years ago and emailed me. We had been pals, we had both been in the Navy, we had both gone to college, and had both quit Catholicism.

After several emails I told him I was an atheist and he told me he was a biblical literalist. We agreed to end our email relationship.

Wonderful discussion Joan - I'm enjoying read the replies here.

... the Commonwealth is not safe absent reliance on Almighty God. Further, (the law) places a duty upon the executive director to publicize the assertion while stressing to the public that dependence upon Almighty God is vital, or necessary, in assuring the safety of the commonwealth.

Could they be a little more specific?  What, exactly, is Kentucky relying on Almighty God for?  In what way is Kentucky depending on Almightly God relative to safety?  If they're going to make obtuse statements, then they should be required to follow them up with explanations.  Is Almighty God responsible for Kentucky not being hit by an asteroid?  Does He stop earthquakes from happeing in Kentucky?  If they take the sign down, do they suspect that the bear population will explode and Kentuckians will be eaten by bears?  If I'm not mistaken, the entire planet is slowly heating up.  Is Kentucky cooling down because they have a plaque referencing the Lord in the Office of Homeland Security?

Actually, I think they're relying on Yahweh to keep Kentucky together, just in case all those stills you see on Moonshiners should happen to blow up at the same time.  I mean, it'd be awfully embarrassing, ruin story lines, probably destroy more than a couple cameras.  Then, too, the SPONSORS would get all bent and pull their support.

You really DO have to be careful about dealing with MAD Men, you know!

There was a trial recently in KY. A person was accused of smuggling a book into the Commonwealth. However, and lucky for the defendant, the supporters of this law happened to be sitting on the jury, and found him not guilty. They didn't know what a book was.

"The court found that the law was in violation of Kentucky’s constitution."

thank you!

It can't just be Kentucky's constitution but the entire US Constitution. 

What gets me about this crap is that the people that crafted this law are most likely part of the group that cries about Obama, and liberals in general, of not knowing or following the constitution.  Sadly they wouldn't know the constitution if it came and bit them on the butt.

My understanding of the original founding father's is that they were property owners, many owned slaves, all of them believed that males had dominion over females and over everything that swam, crawled and flew and all the elements of metals and forests and waters. All these resources were to be "tamed" by man for his use and benefit and profit. Even people who were not Christian were not included due to custom and tradition. Over time the Constitution has changed, creating a living document. 

The people who want the original Constitution want the things that the founding fathers wanted, not human rights and not concerned about the environment. 

That is why we must remain vigilant and keep the Constitution moving in the direction of justice for all, government by all, and peace for all. 

and in colorado they just passed a law that makes some cases of abortion and "morning after pill" a HOMICIDE! thanx to the reeligious right and godz law.

Recent news in the Kentucky Homeland Security religion case, from American Atheists:

On November 13, 2012, American Atheists’ National Legal Director Edwin Kagin submitted a petition for a writ of certiorari to the U.S. Supreme Court (SCOTUS). American Atheists is asking SCOTUS to review the Kentucky Homeland Security law. American Atheists won at the Circuit Court level a ruling that the law violated the First Amendment, but the decision was reversed by the Kentucky state Court of Appeals. The Kentucky state Supreme Court declined to review the Court of Appeals’ decision. Filing the petition to SCOTUS does not guarantee a hearing; only one in 1,000 cases are heard. Four of the nine justices must vote to hear the case.

Don't get your hopes up; in similar church-state cases, the courts protect "impressionable" children more than they protect adults.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service