I just read a post on FB written by the friend of a friend.  He's a 21-year old guy.  I'm a 44-year old woman, just to give it some perspective.  His is a bible-thumper (I'm not friends with him on FB, he just posted on a friend of mines wall, but I know him and his family through mutual friends).  He said if a woman doesn't want to get pregnant, she shouldn't have sex.  I know I should just let it go, but I let him have it.  So the only reason to have sex is to get pregnant?  Then he said something about if she gets pregnant she has no right to 'kill the kid'.  I mentioned rape and incest and the fact that not everyone believes  a fertilized egg is a 'kid' yet, and if he doesn't believe in the right to have an abortion, don't have one, and it's a personal decision,etc.  I KNOW I shouldn't have argued with him.  But it's 4 a.m., I can't sleep, and now I let myself get pissed-off by someone I know is a fundie.  Ugh. lol.  I will ignore the post if he posts again.  There are too many of them to piss me off.  I'd have a coronary if I let them all get to me...

Views: 367

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Ruth, a great back at them line I love it.

John - Just ask them where abortion is mentioned in the Bible. Since it is not, they are probably going to revert to 10 commandments, "thou shalt not kill." Then show them all the places where they themselves do not believe this is a commandment - capital punishment, self-defense, war, etc. If they say that these are exceptions, ask them where in the Bible it says that there are exceptions to the commandments. Further, ask them why other actions, such as abortion, could not be exceptions also. Again, point out that abortion is nowhere mentioned in the Bible. Finally, ask them how they know that abortion is "killing a baby." Point out to them (if they are still talking to you by this time) that natural abortions outpace abortions of choice by thousands to one, and that if they believe god directs nature, then god is the great abortionist and the most heinous sinner of them all. Probably this won't change their minds since they have locked their minds in the prisons of their religion, but you might feel better in convincingly demonstrating just how stupid their religion is.

Thank you David for some great suggestions, I'll be trying them out at the first opportunity.

I fear you're correct regarding their passion for dogma, stating obvious contradictions will not penetrate that wall of ignorance that they call "faith".

I work at a venue where apart from rock concerts and the like a large Pentecostal church also hire the place for their activities, having to endure listening to this mind numbing nonsense from these slick Pastors telling the masses to hand over their money I feel like shouting "WAKE UP" you're being conned.

Even Barry Goldwater realized as recently as the early 1980's that the fundies were mad and bad his quote was something like "You can't reason with these people" he knew crazies like Falwell were a danger and would have nothing to do with them.

Goldwater may have been too crazy even for the GOP but he was right on this issue.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Jason Blair replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
4 minutes ago
Jason Blair replied to Daniel W's discussion Are same sex marriages more stable than so-called traditional marriages? in the group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
9 minutes ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to Grinning Cat's discussion Greta Christina on "Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative" in the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
15 minutes ago
Patricia replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
17 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion The Bible is not Great by Soren Sagan in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
26 minutes ago
David Seidman replied to Carrot Hare's discussion Atheists around the world! ASSEMBLE!
51 minutes ago
David Seidman replied to jay H's discussion What the freakin hell is wrong with this country???
54 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Men not empathic partners in the group Feminist Atheists
54 minutes ago
David Seidman replied to Rasheeda Nizam's discussion Religious Diversity
57 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Patricia's photo
1 hour ago
Joseph P replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Men not empathic partners in the group Feminist Atheists
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion Men not empathic partners in the group Feminist Atheists
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service