I just read a post on FB written by the friend of a friend.  He's a 21-year old guy.  I'm a 44-year old woman, just to give it some perspective.  His is a bible-thumper (I'm not friends with him on FB, he just posted on a friend of mines wall, but I know him and his family through mutual friends).  He said if a woman doesn't want to get pregnant, she shouldn't have sex.  I know I should just let it go, but I let him have it.  So the only reason to have sex is to get pregnant?  Then he said something about if she gets pregnant she has no right to 'kill the kid'.  I mentioned rape and incest and the fact that not everyone believes  a fertilized egg is a 'kid' yet, and if he doesn't believe in the right to have an abortion, don't have one, and it's a personal decision,etc.  I KNOW I shouldn't have argued with him.  But it's 4 a.m., I can't sleep, and now I let myself get pissed-off by someone I know is a fundie.  Ugh. lol.  I will ignore the post if he posts again.  There are too many of them to piss me off.  I'd have a coronary if I let them all get to me...

Views: 356

Replies to This Discussion

Sadly, you can't reason someone into a position they weren't reasoned into in the first place. To our disappointment, they will stick by their illogical comforts, even given the evidence on a silver platter to the contrary.

That's awesome Pat, thanks for sharing that.  Isn't that the truth!!!~ Melinda

Ha ha, no doubt!

Been there... And Chris Breman how true.  If men could get pregnant there would be a clinic at every Starbucks location *sigh*

Nah...probably not at Starbucks....Hooters, more likely....

Anyway, even though I probably wouldn't get an abortion myself, I also wouldn't tell others they couldn't.  It IS legal, after all, and there are good reasons why women do have them. 

Sex just for procreation...now that would be funny.  Get guys to agree to only that, and there would be a whole lot more frustrated, angry men, IMO....

Remember, a man can divorce his wife for refusing to have sex with him. Of course, a woman can divorce hubby for the same reason, but still, a woman should be able to protect herself from unwanted pregnancies in all cases.

And why isn't male B.C. more of an issue here? Who is he having sex with?

And doesn't the right want gov't. to NOT pay for birth-control, but paying for the little blue pill for men is fine?  SERIOUSLY!

Booklover - You did exactly the right thing. Everyone must stand up to such situations. For far to long atheists have stood by not responding. It got us nowhere. Silence to such people means complete agreement.

Not using his age as any excuse - he certainoly feels FREE to state his opinion (an opinion I find disgusting) and so we have the obligation and freedom to respond.

He is certainly not your friend. I wouldn't ever claim to have friends that are controlling, hateful and bigoted against women and/or other minorities - such as atheists and homosexuals/transgender people.

Thank-you Steven.  I agree.  He was never my friend, he is more a friend of some friends of mine.  Now I think he's an a--hole.  lol.

Congratulations for 'notching' another A-hole. My list is very very long - would fill books.

Today - part of the discussion's going around is religious freedom by employers to deny birth control medication for female employees.

If I were 'religious' I'd also demand cholestrol and heart medication be removed from my health program for employees. You see, if GOD didn't want my employee to have high cholestrol or have heart disease He'd have made them without it. Religious freedom to do whatever and however I want to do it. That's America! (lol)

Thanks Steven and I agree with you.  Why do some fundies who can't get pregnant go to fertility clinics?  Don't they just accept that their 'god' didn't want them to get pregnant even financially-stable couples, while 'god' sometimes lets rape and incest victims become pregnant because 'he' thought that was a good idea?!  Sick!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service