UC Davis Police Pepper Spray Incident - Occupy Protesters

A group of protesters seated on the ground at the University of California were pepper-sprayed point blank by police in riot gear on Friday.

Some were hospitalized after being sprayed directly in the face, including one who was coughing up blood afterwards.

Some of the victims were seen with their faces coated with the orange substance.

Another angle:

LA Times: UC Davis chief launches probe into pepper-spraying of Occupy protes...

"As some faculty members called for her ouster, the chancellor of UC Davis launched an inquiry Saturday into the pepper-spraying of apparently peaceful Occupy Davis protesters by campus police.

A video of the Friday incident that went viral on the Web showed a police officer dousing the protesters with a canister of pepper spray as they sat huddled on the ground. The police had been attempting to clear the university's Quad of tents and campers."

Tags: brutality, occupy, pepper, pepper spray, protest, wall street

Views: 170

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

At the least, it's very bad P.R.  Im starting to have deja vu about the 60s.  Let's hope there's no Kent State.

Yeah I agree with Sentient.

Finally! Amerikkka gets its own Gestapo.

Isn't this a little hyperbolic?  I mean, we haven't invaded Poland.  Or Canada, or Mexico, or Cuba, in the last 100 years.  Haven't rounded up a few million people into death camps.  Haven't bombed Toronto.  I think teargassing old ladies and young protesters is very bad, and the US has plenty of excesses, but please don't throw in the Nazi thing.  You devalue the millions of people who were so horribly tortured and murdered by one of the most evil regimes in history, and lose credibility in this serious situation.

Agreed!

I never understood why people have this need to compare everything to the Nazi's.

I found the images of an officer in riot gear spraying the seated protesters with almost a nonchalant attitude disturbing, to put it mildly.  This IS beginning to harken back to the civil rights marches of the 60's in my mind.  There are no dogs or water cannon, but the behavior of those in authority isn't much better.

This only speeds up the equity and justice for the people,  to take back are country from the 1% of the corporate dictators that control are government and wealth,  We Are The 99% Of The People of America!!

Thanks George!!...........................................joe 

FOX Bill O Reilly On UC Davis Pepper Spray Incident, It's just food...

Bill O'Reilly interviews Megyn Kelly about the Pepper spray incedent. 

O'Reilly comes off far worse than Kelly does, asserting that you shouldn't question the police's decision.  

‘It’s a Food Product, Essentially’: Fox News Starts Spinning Pepper... - Gawker.com

"I don't think we have the right to Monday-morning quarterback the police," O'Reilly says, "particularly at a place like UC Davis, which is a fairly liberal campus." God forbid! We'd never want to question Lt. John Pike's decision to generously and indifferently dust peacefully sitting protesters with pepper spray from only a few feet away. Especially given that Davis is, you know, a liberal campus! And, gosh, even if we were going to Monday-morning quarterback the police, shouldn't we remember, as Megyn Kelly tells O'Reilly, that pepper spray is "a food product, essentially"?

So, if you hold someone's head under water in the bathtub and drown them, is that OK because water is a food product?  George, is this fallacy of argument ignorato elenchi?  

Ignoratio elenchi (also known as irrelevant conclusion[1] or irrelevant thesis) is the informal fallacy of presenting an argument that may in itself be valid, but does not address the issue in question

"How Could This Happen in America?"
Why Police Are Treating Americans Like Military Threats - Alternet.

"(The crackdowns on the Occupy movement) have brought a military level of combativeness to what many Americans -- even those not in sympathy with the protesters -- would normally see as a police, not a military matter.

"Police, not military. The distinction may seem academic, even absurd, when police are bringing rifles, helmets, armor, and helicopters to evict unarmed protesters."

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service