'Twisted light' carries 2.5 terabits of data per second_ this is dope! bad ass! pure science! f minus to myths!

Bad ass!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18551284

Researchers have clocked light beams made of "twisted" waves carrying 2.5 terabits of data - the capacity of more than 66 DVDs - per second.

Tags: computer, dvd, lightwaves, media, nature, pc, photonics, religion fail, storage, waves

Views: 205

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOL I don't even know what this means, but I am in AWE of science!!!! ~ Melinda

In other words ... 2.5 tbps ... 2.5 TRILLION Bits Per Second.

Ooooooooooooooookay ... if this can be made stable and reliable ... I think the phrase you're searching for is ... HOLY GUACAMOLE!!!!!

Awesome!

Science is Awesome and I second the HOLY GUACAMOLE!!!!!

Oh yeah! Holy guacamole, holy moly, holy..., all that!

A further point: the fastest protocol out there right now is 100 Gigabit Ethernet which operates obviously at 100 gbps - 100 billion bits per second.  The routers, switches, and other hardware which support that signal have to be as fast or faster (for error margin), and that's where there can be a considerable problem with such a new standard. For what I read in that Wikipedia article, the issue of support for 100 gbps is rough as it is, and now someone is talking about something which is 25 times FASTER.

It'll be a bit of work yet before 2.5 tbps is practical, I suspect ... but I also suspect that someone or other will get there!

... im gonna need a faster computer

IBM's still got the top-dog by only a few percent against Japan... i think...

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service