The jingoistic rallying cry of the politically ignorant public can be heard again on all the news blogs and chat lines, the debt ceiling has been raised and now supporters of both parties are pointing fingers at each other and eschewing responsibility for members they’ve helped elect into office. In other words a typical day for the voting public, after all nobody likes to own their own shit. But what get me now is that I’m hearing about how we need to “get down on our knees and let God help us with our financial crisis”, “let God help us in these forthcoming elections” and “if our country is to heal itself it’ll be on our knees”.

God has no place in politics, I know this, you know this but apparently that’s as far as it’s going to ever go.

One thing I’ve been saying to the few atheist friends and other open minded individuals I know is that we need to start taxing churches. They’re a business just like any other corporation; they rally political support just like any other corporation, in fact in many ways they function just like corporations.

So why not tax them? It would seriously help reduce the national debt.

I mean I know why we won’t, but I don’t think I know of any clause in our constitution that precludes churches from being taxed (that is to say ‘if there is one I’m not aware of it’). 

Tags: churches, debt, national, politics, taxes

Views: 94

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Groups of stupid people with guns, Travis..Groups.  You should be worried.  It reminds me of the basic premise of all zombie movies where about 7 people try to ward off 100 zombies.  Moral of the story: How to outwit the zombies?

"Never overestimate the intelligence of the general public." 
That's a mistake progressives have made over and over in the past.  However, based on recent polls, a sizable majority of the public support much of the progressive agenda – Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid , against the wars, tax increases on the wealthiest and job creation by the government if necessary.
It's a bright spot, but if it's strong enough to start a fire, I guess time will tel

I would NEVER say prop 8 was right.  I said it was in accord with our system.  Constitutionally, we elect representatives (in most place) to represent us, and the majority (usually) rules.  The electoral college is a bit of an anomaly.

Prop 8 was like a big New England town meeting--direct democracy.  Immoral, but not illegal.

The constitution, worshipped by ignorant americans, was written by the richest men of america to constitutionalize government by the rich, for the rich, and of the rich. 

You don't like it, change the system.

Actually, That isn't the case.  You have to win the majority in the electoral college.  Al Gore won the majority of votes, but lost the electoral college.
This discussion isn't even in the conscious awareness of the lawmakers in the federal government... I would love to hear it being debated in Congress, however.  Tax revenue from religious establishments....THAT would be progressive and enlightened and helpful and metaphorically 'Christlike'.... so it won't be happening in MY lifetime.  (The Evangelicals in the Bible Belt would put up quite an entertaining show of persecution, I'm sure.)  But everybody needs to be part of the so-called 'belt-tightening' if we're going to take a balanced approach here, right??  I am convinced that President Obama has caved into the recent tea party demands and needs to be more forceful about the need for balanced, shared sacrifice.
I nearly fell over last week when one of my fundie friends said "I believe in jesus and all, but that shit ain't right, preachers and churches not having to pay taxes!"

Um, I don’t know about that. That is to say I’m not in agreement with the idea that churches discretely use issue advocacy.

The Tea Party isn’t exactly non-religious, as it’s heavily supported by church groups, primarily Christian. Their issue advocacy didn’t exactly help us when it came to raising the debt ceiling last week, and I certainly wouldn’t call it discreet. Churches talk politics constantly, churches support politics constantly. If our government is to somehow manage to keep religion out of politics wouldn’t it be a good start to keep the politicians out of the churches? I just figure that if a politician wants to use a religion (or church) as a platform for launching his political career, then that means the religion (or church) supports that politicians ideology and therefore that religion is trying to shape politics. Since churches shape how politics is done in this country at a very fundamental level I think it would only be right if they were taxed for it. I mean it’s not like large corporations don’t do the same thing. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service