In his speech "A Globale Agenda for Chage" Tony Blair, who very well might become the first 'president' of Europe, said:

“We face an aggressive secular attack from without. We face the threat of extremism from within.” Arguing that there was “no hope” from atheists who scorn God, he said the best way to confront the secularist agenda was for all faiths to unite against it. “Those who scorn God and those who do violence in God’s name, both represent views of religion. But both offer no hope for faith in the twenty first century.”

http://tonyblairoffice.org/2009/10/this-is-the-full-text.html

Tags: Europe

Views: 73

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Call me crazy, but I can't see the controversy.
I think TB's main message seems to be one of trying to build a bridge between Christian and Muslim mainstream religeous groups.
He points out what he sees as common links between the who groups (which amount to not much more than both being defined by faith). He then notes that he percieves extreme positions on both sides of this asserted 'middle ground' (ie. non-fanatical faith). It is a common political and rhetorical strategy to define your view as the middle ground, because that serves to imply that the position is somehow a balanced position. Maybe not logically sound, but effective non-the-less.
I don't see that he was calling for an unholy alliance against atheism - just trying an old rhetorical trick in order to emphasise his main point.
And to the extent that his main point was one of trying to build bridges between Christians and Muslims - well, that sounds like a good thing to me. We can't make them all atheists, but it would help if they at least got along with each other.
I do think that he is wrong to implicitly put atheism on a spectrum from non-theism at one end, to fundies at the other. As many have said before, 'if atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair colour'.
But this error of logic does not seem to be particularly controversial - just another person of faith revealing their ignorance.
The only direct accusation that he makes about atheism is that it wont encourage religious faith in the 21st century. That's an accusation that I hope is true.
Was that a parody website?

If not, Tony Blair needs to shut the fuck up.
I'm sorry, I thought respect for Tony Blair's opinion had already been reduced to the level of Bridget from 'The girls next door'; does anyone important even give a hoot?

I mean, Bush is to Captain Chaos as Tony Blair is to General disarray. (south park fans will get that one)

I had heard however that Tony has really stepped up his speeches on 'faith'. He's become a European evangelical of sorts.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service