To Facebook or Not to Facebook, that is the question

So recently I am discovering that Facebook is simply a time filler. I get almost no use out of the site. I am here on the nexus and on LinkedIn. I can also join any of the myriad dating sites if I would like to find a "suitable mate". Exactly what purpose does Facebook serve? I suppose it keeps me in touch with childhood friends most of whom have not left the hometown and with whom I have little in common. Is it "wrong" to delete or "inactivate" my membership? There is a nostalgic part of me that wants to maintain my membership but another part that says why bother. What do you think?

Tags: Facebook, In, Linked, LinkedIn, childhood, date, dating, friends, youth

Views: 379

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I never tried FB,or My Space..No,it is not wrong to leave...Those who really care can get your e mail.

What purpose it serves is in how you use it, same as the internet in general.

I use Facebook as a tool to get my art/music out and build up my fan base, as well as using some other sites. I keep up with fellow musicians, artists, cannabis activists, scientists, atheists and more. Having performed on cruise ships for 20 years, it is the easiest way for me to keep in contact with some of the many thousands of people I've met from around the world. As well as family and friends from school and elswhere.

I've never played a game like Farmville, Mafia Wars or any of those time wasters. I actually block each game request as I get them- so get less and less requests.

I use it to read and post links to things I find important- be it atheism/religion, failed cannabis/drug war policy, politics, music, art or whatever. I don't get many religious posts on my FB (and I have over 2,500 "friends"-80% I actually know), and those are not directed at me.

If someone doesn't like something I say or post and if I lose a "friend" on FB from it- I wouldn't even know who "unfriended" me unless they told me. The number of friends moves a few up or down every day - loose one- gain two- but it doesn't show who is no longer a "friend".

If you're bored of it, OK, don't use it, or check it infrequently, or inactivate your account- but getting pictures and all the rest of your stuff off of FB is harder than just inactivating your account.

See my illusion-filled sm'ART on Facebook or at http://www.kelinsmart.com 

I use FB mainly for promotion of my band and book. Also to connect with people from the past. I do wind up hiding some of them. But, I find it very useful for networking in general. Some of the very stupid posts are entertaining.

I keep my FB account mostly because people keep asking me, "Do you have a facebook page?"

Of course, the fact that I am an atheist is near the top of my info page. So far, no one has "unfriended" me (what a stupid term). I read the crazy shit they say and use it to inform my replies and blogs on my Nexus page.

I guess I hope some of them will "unfriend" me so I can see who my loyal friends are. Is that vain?

No Jeremy, that's not vain.  I have a friend who had several people 'unfriend' her when she posted something agreeing with gay-rights on her page.  She was glad to see them go.  Why waste time online or off with people who are bigots or don't like you for who you are, etc.  Forums are different if you're trying to get info, learn, etc., but friends should like you for you or buh-bye!

I don't like facebook and I don't use it.  Same for Linkedin.

On facebook I actually do have a registration, but it is just an allias on an email address used for nothing else.  So no one can find me.  I don't use that registration either.  Its just because some people use facebook and they want me to find them.

The open net is better.  Better people make their own home pages and all on the open net.

Myspace I don't mind, but not currently using.

Problem with facebook and linkedin is that they want a particular style of profile and presentation.

I believe in anyonimity.  So best just to use a Guy Fawkes mask.

BO

I use it to keep people updated on my daughter and as an invaluable tool for keeping in touch with distant family and old friends. They may change their numbers, but it's unlikely they'll change their Facebook frequently. But I have a Yahoo extension that puts Facebook chat directly into the Yahoo messenger, so i don't even need to log on to talk to those people.
While there's absolutely nothing wrong with abandoning it, I have a friend who found it hard since he suddenly never knew about events and stuff. I definitely see where you (and he) are coming from, but it's probably more trouble than its worth. You could try removing your wall so people can't post stuff there and reducing your activity.
I quit about a year and half ago.  All I ever did there was veg out and play games anyway.  I found the privacy controls not that easy to navigate (which may have changed since then).  I got sick of the constantly changing privacy controls that put stuff i didn't want public open to the public.  I finally gave it up and haven't looked back.  I have gotten a lot done since then with all the time I used to waste on FB.

I have actually gotten laid about 7 times because of FaceBook lol. Other than that yeah, just a time filler.

I have a facebook account and go on twice a week. Mostly its a waste of time. Keep tabs on siblings otherwise its boring.

I left Facebook because they have unlimited rights to commercially exploit every word and image you post. Post a picture of your kid? You could find that image selling stuff or promoting religious claptrap.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service