Anyone here ever run into a Unitarian Universalist (UU) church before? It's a nondogmatic nondoctrinal church that is atheist friendly. It does not push any notion of gods or damnation. It simply put does not tell it's members, or anyone else, what to believe. Instead its services focus on using love, compassion, and reason to put issues before it's members. It welcomes all although those looking for dogma doctrine and hellfire will probably not find anything to their liking. 

It's a place for people more interested in community than condemnation. Each UU Church tends to have its own flavor. My church for example trends towards atheist/humanist. The minister as well as most members are various stripes of atheists. 

So the question is does the words church, religion, or sermon carry too much stigma for you or is this sort of thing interesting to some, or is it just useless nonsense?

Tags: UU, Unitarian, Universalist, atheist, church, humanist

Views: 305

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Being from Nebraska too, I can tell you that isn't that big of an exaggeration depending on where in the state you are.... I have driven on highways in the panhandle and not passed another car for 2 hours.

That, and the tumbleweeds are bigger than our new car. (We own a Smart.)

Getting to a town over 1,500 takes over an hour. With a strong tailwind. And there aren't that many highways here either.

I'm happy for you T Andrew that you have found a place for fellowship that works for you!  That's great!~ Melinda

I used to go for a few years before making a strong commitment to Atheism (I was still finding my path) and then I stopped going. The UU place I was going was mostly Humanist and help me find my path to Atheism. I evolved from it. (Faded away like Sentient did)

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo liked nice girl's blog post Why I am here
1 hour ago
Jason Andrews commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
2 hours ago
Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
2 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
2 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
3 hours ago
Freethinker31 commented on DAN DANA's blog post This Is How the Gaza War Will End
3 hours ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
3 hours ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
3 hours ago
Patricia replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
3 hours ago
BIPLAB DAS posted an album

anti superstition programme

its our regular antisuperstition school programme. this time we are in CHHATNA GIRLS HOGH SCHOOL of BANKURA DISTRICT in INDIA. we are disclosing the miracle behind FIRE WALKING.
3 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service