Views: 996

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Todays headlines postings are tomorrows Fish and Chips wrapping.

Oooooooo!  You made me hungry!  I miss Fish & Chips so much since I left Scotland.  Even more so do I miss Steak & Kidney Pie.  Haggis was good too.  Hungry, hungry, hungry.

Fish and chips I like. steak and kidney pie and haggis are experiences I tried and that supplied me with enough for a lifetime. Mashed potatoes with turnips (neeps and tatties), or potatoes with cabbage (bubble and squeak) are good.  

Don't remember neeps&tatties or bubble&squeak, but I probably had them and probably liked them.

Good Fish and Chips is nicer with mushie peas and tar-tar sauce.

Don't remember those either, but it wouldn't surprise me to find-out I had them.

I like both, a lot! Easy to find recipes by Googling. Bon Appetit!

Don't get angry Kitten.  First of all you have to realize you are dealing with people with such low emotional maturity that they never moved past the "imaginary friend/Santa" stage of development.  Second think of it this way...  When have you ever heard a news report say a group of extremist Atheists bombed a doctors office or executed hostages?  You should feel sorry for these people not be angered by them.     

Feeling sorry for those people is not the emotion that comes to mind for me. 

Grinning Cat, thanks for the referral to "Why won't God heal amputees?" I like what Larry Keefauver says about heaven on Earth; however, I do not think the goal is to end all work, that would be absolute boredom for me. Whether it is growing my own food, making my own meals, making my own clothes, or remodelling my own home, I think all these tasks require thinking, verbal skills, technical know how and result in spending time in a meaningful way. I don't do all these tasks, because it is easier to buy something someones else makes. Earned money makes the exchange possible.

I think work is more than making money; it is creating a healthy environment for individuals to grow; it is being part of a community to face challenges we are unable to accomplish alone; it is forming nations to achieve big projects too large for individuals; it is recognizing each one exists as part of something far larger than being human on a planet spinning around the sun, in the Milky Way, just one of billions of other galaxies.

Any notion of god is just too small. We participate in processes that occur out of natural means. I don't want to be idle and helpless in a system where all work is done for me. I want to participate in creating a lifestyle worthy of my effort.

Joan, I agree that ending all work is not a good goal.  Of course, it depends on the meanings of work.  I think it would be a good thing to end the kind of work that most of us have to do to survive.  Work that is dangerous, unpleasant, boring, or too stressful.

For me "working" in my garden, creating things, learning, and other enjoyable activities is not what I would call work.  

For many years I've looked forward to the day when machines could take-over the dangerous, boring, unpleasant jobs, leaving us free to do what is satisfying to us.  I think we would be at that point at this time, if it were not for the greedy people that take more than their share of what is produced.  How we overcome that, I don't know.

Spud, I agree with you that most jobs are deadly boring, and that needs to chang. Having meaningful work, one that stretches abilities and provides valuable services and fits with ones personalities is best. I just shudder at the though of having no work to do. Even after I retired, I worked as hard as before, however I did things I like. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service