My wife is a US citizen. I am an admirer of many aspects of the United States. But the idea that many of the leading Republican presedential front runners are unapologetically anti-science is extremely worrying.

Views: 114

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, I agree with you there.  Appreciate the link.
As the author points out, it's not just the presidential candidates.  The Republicans, as a party, are strongly opposed to rationality, science, and tolerance.  Their dream utopia is a melding of the church, corporations, and the government, with a strong military backing this three headed hydra.  And, with Perry and Bachmann affiliated with the Dominionists, they're closer to accomplishing this than most people think (I should say, "thinking people think" since the great masses of Americans are no more insightful than the great masses of Germans in 1933).
I think it's scary as hell.  I've said this a million times, but I'm worried for the future of my children (ages 17 & 19).
I know what you mean.  My dad's a lifelong Republican and a conservative Lutheran...he likes to try to 'bait' me into arguing about climate change.  He thinks it was all made up by Al Gore to support  a political agenda.  He doubts scientific findings but hangs onto religious 'truth' for dear life.  He is also fond of using the old "only a theory" standpoint about evolution.  (My mom and dad don't 'believe' in evolution.)
I love how some people don't understand the meaning of the word theory.  It is a hypothesis that has been proven over and over to be true.  If it ever proves to be untrue, then the scientific community will find another theory and continually test that one.  Climate change and evolution are theories in the same way that gravity is.
Will you talk to my dad?  Ha....He can be so reasonable on some topics.... I think my parents attend too many bible study classes and get their heads filled with who knows what... it's not healthy for their brain cells.  Maybe I'll try debating this labor day weekend and see where THAT gets me...one less bratwurst on the grill probably......
Sure Mojo, just let me get some blood-pressure pills first... ;)  Good luck on Labor Day!!!
You'd need 'em...ha ha.  And alcohol.   Thanks...you have a good weekend.
lol, you have a good weekend too! :)

Of course they are, Science beats religion every time, so they must suppress it !

M.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service