Greetings:
I am writing this as a sort of cathartic endeavor. I'd be interested in what you men and women here on the Nexus feel about this.
Recently I signed up for Facebook and enthusiasticly went about trying to re-connect with long-lost friends/schoolmates. I found a dear friend of mine, contacted her and she accepted my friendship. We made plans via phone to meet each other once I returned to visit my hometown of Brooklyn, NY earlier this month. I guess subsequently she took a look at my profile and noted that I am a self-proclaimed Atheist, Humanist,Naturalist. From here you all can surmise what happened next. She officially unfriended me. I am hurt, but not really surprised. I thought that my stance would not be an issue as I don't really knock anyone for what they choose to believe in.
Fellow A/Ners, have you experienced similar reactions or have you stayed in the proverbial closet out of not wanting to cause distruption in your life? I'm very interested in knowing. How do we become mainstream or close to mainstream, or simply not seen as people more terrible than Freddie Kruger, Ted Bundy, and Predator combined? WWJD if he existed? Lord Krishna hear my plea! LOL, yet bruised.

Tags: agnostics, atheism, freethinkers, mental, open-mindedness, oppression, spirituality

Views: 477

Replies to This Discussion

I lost most of my family and a collection of thirty years' worth of friends for "coming out". It sucks but it also allows you to make new friendships in a more conscious and deliberate manner. What's the point of living a lie?
I can't live a lie any longer. Being true to myself is what is most important to me. I'm sorry for the losses you've endured because of who you are. I agree with the ability to make more conscious friendships that is what it is all about.
What's the point of living a lie? Just to keep the peace in an un-peaceful home? Dysfunction is the norm? That is utter madness posing sadly as sanity!
It never ceases to amaze me of how so-called open-minded people are actually vise-minded and not open to any other possibilities in realities. The thing is that everyone is an Atheist toward someone else's imaginary man-made deity.
Thanks Larry. I am putting salve and bandages on my heart. Yours and everyone elses replies are that salve and bandage that tells me that I am not alone. Thanks Nexus.
"....just as they are superior in most other things."

Oh please! Black women are just women. We should not tolerate unsubstantiated claims of inferiority or superiority.
I am second to none in my love of black women, but a cut above in tolerance? Speaking from my experience, such an assertion belongs to science fiction.
Adriana, It must have been incredible to grow up in a secular society. You know that you are totally right about a "friend like that being better off lost and never found again.
The more exposure with us forming charities is great. I have always given to some high profile religious charities but I would greatly shift my alliance if maybe all the members of A/N could start one, contribute and put our faces out there as a group. Are there any such charities that you know of, especially international ones?
From their site: Kiva is the world's first person-to-person micro-lending website, empowering individuals to lend to unique entrepreneurs around the globe.

The people you see on Kiva's site are real individuals. When you browse entrepreneurs' profiles on Kiva, choose someone to lend to, and then make a loan, you are helping a real person make great strides towards economic independence and improve life for themselves, their family, and their community. Throughout the course of the loan (usually 6-12 months), you can receive email journal updates and track repayments. Then, when you get your loan money back, you can relend to someone else.

Kiva partners with existing microfinance institutions. In doing so, we gain access to entrepreneurs from communities world-wide. Our partners are experts in choosing qualified entrepreneurs. That said, they are usually short on funds. Through Kiva, our partners upload their entrepreneur profiles directly to the site so you can lend to them. When you do, not only do you get a unique experience connecting to a specific entrepreneur on the other side of the planet, but our microfinance partners can do more of what they do, more efficiently.
Thanks Adriana you are my friend now and when I'm back home in the NYC I will look you up. You lose one friend, and that opens the door for gaining an infinite number of true blues (friends). Life is really Good!
I think the Kiva organization might qualify. And, as I recall, the single largest contributing group was comprised of atheists and free-thinkers. Kiva.org
I just went looking at Kiva again. In the "Religious Congregations" category, The Flying Spaghetti Monster group is in the lead.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service