There are lies, damn lies, and then there's religious leaders talking about what it is to be an atheist

Get a load of this guy:

http://www.kendallharmon.net/t19/index.php/t19/article/41503/

I took the time to register on the site just to give him and that community a piece of mind and I hope you'll do the same.

To me, this kind of blatant deceit and misinformation is the sign of insecurity. It's funny, sad, and anger-inducing all at the same time.

Views: 293

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Right on! I posted a link to an excellent documentary on how fear of death permeates culture on every level. I grokked with it as I think fear of non-existence lead to exploring every possible toe hole for an afterlife.... I got better

I am just jumping back into the middle of this discussion as it reminds me that there is a verse in the Bible where Jesus thanks his heavenly father (or himself, if you follow the claims of Christianity) for him (God) hiding his message from the intelligent people and revealing it to children (or the gullible,ignorant,least intelligent, etc..)-I am paraphrasing this as I am too lazy to look up the exact quote, but you get the gist of it-apparently even Jesus was aware that the smarter people weren't buying it, even 2000 years ago.

Thanks for sharing that, Mark. I honestly hadn't heard about that verse before but it sounds hilarious!

Little late getting back here-there was actually a sermon in my wife's church (yes, i do go along with her at times) where this particular verse (I think it is in Luke) was discussed at length.Apparently, the idea is that only people actively seeking out god will find him, as he does not want to "force" himself on the whole of humanity-and since the young and feeble minded do not have the resources to do this on their own, they get a free pass (he reveals himself to them, no questions asked).So this supposedly explains the "hiddeness" of god.Of course, this same logic would apply to Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and Harvey the six foot invisible rabbit.

Thanks for sharing, Mark. That's one of the stories I remember well.

I call it, "God, master of hide  n' seek"

Well the father issue is not going to hold with me because I have exactly one sibling.  Our father abandoned us (good riddance loser) but we had an awesome Mom and my 'fathers' parents were awesome to us.  ANYWAY, I  am an Atheist (as is my Mom and my 'father' also was) and my sister got religion.  Now she's decided she doesn't believe the jesus thing, but still believes there is a sky-daddy.  I hope she keeps going on down and drops the ''god' thing eventually too.

I've never had an IQ test.  I wonder what mine is?

If folks could acknowledge the difference between "believing" and "knowing," I would be cool with that.

s

Hope she drops it too. That can lead to a real strain on the relationship (I know from experience relating to a devoutly fundamentalist Christian mom).

My sister and I talk about it openly.  I have broken-up with friends who have become fundumbmentalists though. (spelled wrong on-purpose, lol).  I cannot take that crap.

@Melinda - I must steal fundumbmentalists, that is great!

@ Lightning and Edward,
 I followed pretty much the same path as you guys, different religions and so forth but it took me several of attempts to find something 'real' before 'reality' finally bonked me on the head and knocked some sense into me.

Nice! Thanks for sharing your story, Tammy.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service