I have been getting a lot of books from my family since I had "the talk" with them. I would like to respond with books of my own but given that they are less open to contradictory ideas it is difficult to find material which isn't overtly antagonistic towards their current worldview and which would end up not being read.

I would like to compile a list of books which are more accessible to theists. I haven't read nearly enough books to make such a list on my own so I ask for your help. I would love to have my family read John Loftus' Why I Became an Atheist but I would have to direct them to skip much of the beginning that deals with philosophy as they would find that quite unpalatable. In fact I gave it to my father to read but he only read the first chapter or so. Perhaps that is all I can hope for from him.

Are there any good books which are appropriate for the less educated, less receptive theist? If you list any books here I will compile them into a list.

Books recommended for fundamentalists

• God's Problem - Bart D. Ehrman
  • Jesus, Interrupted - Bart D. Ehrman
  • Misquoting Jesus - Bart D. Ehrman
  • How to Think About Weird Things - Theodore Schick and Lewis Vaughn
  • The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark - Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan
  • Why Christianity Must Change or Die - John Shelby Spong
  • Beyond the Firmament: Understanding Science and the Theology of Creation - Gordon J. Glover

Other suggested books and videos

• Why I Became an Atheist: A Former Preacher Rejects Christianity - John W. Loftus
  • Darwin and Evolution for Kids - Kristan Lawson
  • The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster - Bobby Henderson
  • The Portable Atheist - Christopher Hitchens
  • Godless - Dan Barker
  • God, the failed hypothesis - Victor J. Stenger and Christopher Hitchens
  • The Bible Against Itself - Randel McCraw Helms
  • Parenting Beyond Belief - Dale McGowan
  • The Ancestors Tale - Richard Dawkins
  • Avoiding Jesus - Michael Green
  • The End of Faith - Sam Harris
  • god is not Great - Christoper Hitchens
  • The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
  • Letter to a Christian Nation - Sam Harris
  • The Origins of Species - Charles Darwin
  • Letting go of gOd (audio/video) - Julia Sweeney
  • The Greatest Show On Earth - Richard Dawkins
  • Flim-Flam! - James Randi

Tags: atheism, books, education, family

Views: 85

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you think that part of a book would be useless and distracting for them, just tape those pages together around the outside with some office tape and leave a note in the book as to why you did that.
If your family is more fundie than progressive, in that they do beleive in a literal 6 day creation (early earth), Noah's flood, and that evolution is not real then I would suggest a book by Gordon Glover called Beyond the Firmament. OR...check out his video series by the same title on youtube. He is a christian. With my wife, she would never read a book from an atheist...but her ears are wide open if the book is from a christian. Anyway, he does a real nice job of trying to explain to christians why they are wrong about science. Especially with the age of the earth, flood and evolution. While he isn't refuting god at all...it could be a real good, soft start in showing them how wrong they are.
This book sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip.
yeah, they're called fiction
Very nice. Thanks for this. I've listened to the Julia Sweeney audio and it was so good I listened to it twice within the same few days.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service